HybridZ

Fiberglass Bumpers

EvilRufusKay

Holy sh!t....$130 for a bumper!!!!

I made a Aluminum plate mount for the front mounts. The sides mount into the bottom of the buckets.

The brackets were just strips of aluminum bent into a "S". It doesn't have to be very strong because the bumper is so light. here is a picture:

fa807cf0.jpg

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 240hybrid

Their talking about the fiberglass bumpers....if you ask me $150 is a lot for such a small piece of glass. I got a brand new "euro" front bumper for my 240 for $275. Thats pretty steep too, but chrome sure is pretty. :D I'm almost of the opinion that making a mold of the old steel bumper and just laying some glass yourself is worth it. You could make some extra $ undercutting MSA's price too if you're up to it.

Chase

I understand the discussion is about the 'glass bumpers, and $150 is a bit pricey, but my point is it is still considerably cheaper that the stock bumpers. How many people have an old bumper laying around which hasn't been tweaked at all? Aside from that, your right, one could do the same and sell them cheaper, but what is your time worth?

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah your right preith, there is a big difference in $150 and $275 for a chrome one, but you gotta pay to play :-D . My car didn't come with bumpers, and I didn't want a fiberglass one, so I bought a new chrome one. Thats just me.

As for finding a straight bumper to make molds, it wouldn't be that hard if someone was to get serious about doing it themselves. I have seen several ones at a local Zcar/Nissan junkyard and on ebay that were straight. I understand what you're saying though, who has the time. I would charge about $100 per bumper if I were to do it, so my time wouldn't be completely lost. Even if they didn't sell, I would take the project as a learning experience on how to make molds and lay glass. Every project teaches you something new and useful. Personally, I would consider making glass parts and such for Zs if I had a shop or something much larger than my 1 car garage :? . Maybe in the future?

Chase

Also, keep in mind that the ones sold by MSA are not the greatest quality. It comes down to a lack of competition, I suppose. It takes a good deal of work to get them ready for paint. Even if someone were to make bumpers and sold them at about the same price, if the quality were better, they would sell!!

Tim

Guest 240hybrid

Right...I got my Fiberglass valence/airdam from them and spent another 6-8 hours filling divets/imperfections and laying a extra layer of glass on the backside. Thing was soo thin that I looked like it could break at high speed :? . $115 to have to work on a new item is bull. All this talk has me interested in trying my hand at making some parts. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a cheap, but straight F. bumper. I'll also start researching how to make molds and such more. I think that I should be able to match MSAs qaulity, I'll have to read up on gel coats too.

Chase