HybridZ

Ordered my turbo today! Opinions

aarang

OK, here is what I got, TO4E 57/ T3 .63 stg V. oil/water.

I was going to go with the 60 E, but the builder thought I might have boost creep problems with that large of a compressor. My goal is 400 HP at the crank. He said that the 57 could easily do that at about 18-20 lbs of boost. I have been reading the archives about the 57 and 60 trims, and have not come up with a direct conclusion on if the 60 is alot better than the 57. Some say yes, others say no. Compressor maps say maybe, but the real world is a different place, and what works on paper my not be the case in real life. I think the 60E would be better for a 3.0, and not the 2.8 like I have. For my HP goals I think it will do good. Any other opinions? I also asked him about porting the W/G hole. He said that they won't warranty the turbine housing against cracks if it is ported. I know others have done this. Opening the hole is easy, but what about the flapper. Where can I get a new flapper housing that has a larger door?

It also comes with a new actuator ( single port), would changing that to a 2 port be better to controlling boost creep with the right controller? I think my combo is good from all the research I have done, so at this point I just want some opinions if I could just make it a little nicer Turbo. Oh and here is the engine it is going on ( when it get assembled!)

L28 2.0mm over, rods peened/polished, balanced assy, studded

forged pistons ( 8.2/1 comp ratio)

Cleaned up P90, MSA stg II turbo cam

Ported N42 non EGR intake, 60mm T/B

Spearco I/C

SDS EFI, 44lb inj.

Ported stock exhaust manifold, Jeff P. D/P and 3in exhaust.

Thanks

Aaron

I don't have any idea if the WG hole is ported, that would be a Jeff Priddy question. I know he ported the inlet to the turbine.

I am not sure how to answer the boost creep problem. When I initially installed the turbo, and used my dual port actuator, I was using just the top port, and boost pressure was erratic, it would hit say 8 to 10 psi easily, and then as the rpms built it would creep up.

After some tweeking, mainly shortening the rod on the actuator, and plumbing the top and bottom port, it is pretty consistent now. It does not ramp up boost as fast as my stage 3 did before. It makes full boost about 3200 versus 2800 before. It is much smoother, I don't get as hard a hit like I was getting with the stage 3, so I don't have the traction problems from a roll like I did before.

Oh and yes it is the sport 450, and it makes a lot of power. I remember when I first got it running, and it was making about 10 psi and would build up to 16, man it got scary fast in a hurry.

I think it was making around 17 psi or so when I ran my 12.59., Clark told me I have fuel to 26 psi. I think this turbo is pushing the limits of what my clutch can do, so we will see soon enough.

Got to replace the HG now.

I think you will like that turbo. The stage 5 flows alot of air, so you should never have a turbine issue. Would like to hear how you do, email me sometime when you get track times.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Port a Turbonetics exhaust housing then use the 30298 swing valve assembly door from them also, it has a larger diameter wastegate door so you can get away with more. I haven't had a problem with overboosting on my 60-1 stage V internal wastegate I don't know how you would and I got a full lenth header. Good luck.

I think eventually I'll go to the 60-1, but for now 400hp is my goal. As with anything, it always needs MORE POWER! I used to drag race a big block Chevy truck ( mid 11's) and it was a never ending quest for faster times, but emissions testing killed that thing for street use.

Aaron