HybridZ

95 camaro V8.For my 280Z, Advice much needed!!!

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Guys,

Have found a 95 with a manual 6 speed. 56,000 Miles hit in rearend..

I sure need some advise if this is a good choice and I want to make sure I get all the parts and what to watch for before I buy.

Price is $3,000..

Anything you tell me will be a big help.

Thanks!

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Sounds like a pretty good deal, but if memory serves me correctly, I believe a lot of the folks on here have mentioned an issue with the 95 ECU (perhaps it was a different year). Try searching and or browsing the forum for more info.

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

The car is about 4 hours away, and I don't think the sale is going to happen, something fishy, I called back said I would buy it for the $3,000 and if he could take credit, he said no, they take credit cards but someone had put a stop payment on once. And they pay a certain percent to the credit card company. I told him that the credit card cost to them was their guarantee of payment. The kid I was talking to said he would talk to boss again and call me back. He never did.

Must be a sign!!

The shop is correct, I work in the retail computer store and we have the same deal that we have to pay 2% of total price to Credit Card company and 3% if its American Expresss. Also unless you can prove you physically had the card in hand then you can put a stop payment on the payment to them and claim you never purchased that and never recieved it. Either way the shop should incorporate that into their price.

I think 3K is too much money.

granted higher mileage.. but I'm driving a 93 LT1 6 speed that I bought for 2200. 106K miles on purchase.

I also have a bud who got a 93 Lt1 6 spd for 1200 as a donor for another project, the car was rough but ran well and was driveable/inspected.

Don't these drivelines go for about 2K on ebay? I haven't checked in a while.

Perry

Keep in mind that the 95 LT1 is the holy grail of LT1 engines. Last year of OBDI and has the vented Optispark. That's a very low mileage car and the car is complete. I would try to get it down to $2k to $2.5k if it was still available. If the rest of the car is good (interior etc), you could make up the difference with stuff that you could resell.

I bought my 94 LT1/T56 froma Z28 for $1400, but for that price I had to pull the motor myself....no biggie.

Tim

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Its a done deal, I agreed to $3,000 no tax.

He is going to strip the car, I will be able to hear it run and he will drop it on my flat bed trailer.

I don't have any idea what parts will come with it.

It only has 56,000 miles on it. I have watched e-bay and the combo runs $2,500 and up. plus shipping and you realy dont know what u are getting.

Also I have traded emails with some else selling them in Texas and he too wants $3,000. And not flexable.

I figure its worth it. but just found out its 5 or 6 hours to get there!

So I'm happy. I will have it home in a coupe weeks. Take it out clean it up and who know 10 yrs from now I have it running! :twisted:

Can anyone tell me if it will be easier or harder to install in my 280Z compared to a 240Z,. I found a site were a guy recorded this mod into his 240Z and it looks like a hell of a lot of work! :shock:

You did good Terry. Make sure you get everything: driveshaft, ECU, complete uncut harness with relays, all accessories, MAF sensor and all the intake plumbing, all the heater hoses (trust me :roll: ), TDM (used to be called VATS) and the ignition key if you don't want to have to reprogramm the ECU.

IMHO that is a great deal for a very low mileage '95 motor and trans. :2thumbs:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hey, regarding that ECU, I did some searching for you and found this quote:

On the plus side the 95 engine is probably the best year to get. It has the reprogramable ECU but not any of the OBDII restrictions

Looks like I was thinking of a different year. 95 is good! :2thumbs:

Congrats on the find!

78Z-in-GR-MI

Where in GR are you? I'm in Caledonia. I'm about 2/3 of the way through my 350sbc 79ZX conversion.

Your deal sounds good to me, for some reason around western MI, LT1's are rare and are treated like gold. I was originally looking for a LT1 for my conversion but got a good deal on a 91 truck motor instead.

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Rick,

I'm in Sparta west of Rockford 10 min's, right off 10 mile rd.

I have only found one other Z cr driver in the area, a young guy in Wyoming. I sure could use your advise if you have a project underway.

I'm 95% done with the body work, a Michigan car, most would have called me nuts for even restoring it. I have the interior done minus new seats and a dash fix. Well I plan on installing a role bar.

I did a total Suspension job as well as new brakes all around.

So I almost bought the front air dam and side rails, but went and bought this motor and trans so until U adjust to this new debt I have to mellow out on the spending.

I would love to have u come look it over if u like.

What transmission did u use? was the truck motor fuel injected?

My email is thesteenhagens@juno.com

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Perry,

I have been watching these motors for sometime. Here in the midwest they are hard to find. I called every yard in town and only found one T56 trans and he wanted $2,500. I have watched ebay and the combo goes for $2,500 plus shipping.

I tried to talk him down, but he knew, I did a search on "car something" I found a link to on this site, and it found 20 yards in Mich and Ohio when I looked for just LT1 or T56, I sent email to them all, and only two responded. One only had a motor and the other is were I did my purchase.

I'm happy with the price, and I respect Dan's option and he agreed..

78Z-in-GR-MI,

I sent an e-mail to you but it was returned, undeliverable. Sounds like a good idea to get together sometime.

My truck motor came from a 91 G-30 one ton van. It originally had injection (throttle body). I installed a cam, Performer intake and Holley 600dp, as well as new double roller timing set, oil pump/pickup, and Moroso 7qt oil pan. I'm using a 700R4 trans. with a 2200 stall converter.