HybridZ

700R4 Filter Change and Throttle Valve Upgrade

Corzette

Brothers, Im doing a 700R4 Filter Change and Throttle Valve Upgrade. Ive never opened the bottom of a tranny before. How do I change the Tranny filter, where is it located and how hard is it to change out the Throttle valve? I am upgrading to the .500 mega valve for xtra firm shifts. It already has a Transgo shift kit in it but I didnt change the TV when I did it. Anyone know about this stuff?

:roll:

The filter is pretty easy. Hopefully your tranny pan had a drain bolt?

Just drain the fluid, unbolt the pan, drop it down, and you will see the filter element. Not sure about the 700, but the 350 and 400 have one bolt that hols the filter in place. Remember to remove the old gasket that's under the filter too and put the new one in.

Tim

BTW...did you receive the package?

On the 700r4, the filter just pushes in with a neoprene steel cored grommet to hold it in place and seal it.

When you pull the old filter the grommet will most likely NOT come out with it.

The easiest way to get this gommet out is to use a pick or awl,wedge it between the grommet and the wall and pry it to bend one side inward.

This will pull the outside diameter in and break the grip from the wall.

Then it should almost fall out.

To reinstall, lube the new grommet with some atf and simply push the new filter into place.

be sure to push evenly and not to cock or side load the tube because they have been known to crack.

Terry,

I put the taller cap/bushing in the back as well and love it. The one I installed is 1.3 taller than stock I believe. Off a 280 and now I have plenty of clearance for 235/60-15 B.F.Goodrich's.

No more rubbing or scraping.

Mike

Update!!!! Well I finished the rear disk upgrade. It was easy and time consuming but fun. I am still trying to figure out the attachment method for the clip on the E-Brake cable though. Not the one provided but where and how to anchor the cable without having them pop out of the little arm on the 240SX calipers) Also I made a mistake, I am replacing the Boost Valve, not the Throttle Valve on the 700r4 for firmer shifts (Big Difference). Dont let the tranny shop tell you that you have to take off the throttle body to do this because YOU DONT...They just want to make more money. I got an estimate today for the following:

Oil and Filter Change (Tranny)

Rear Yoke seal replacement (Leaking)

Boost Valve .500 upgrade (Super Firm Shifts)

for a total price of $100 :idea:

Im stoked about that!

Oh yeah, remember i got the 280 rear strut caps to quieten down the rattle in the back....after taking it apart I found that i had not placed the spacer washer on the top of the Tokiko strut before tightening down the retainer (the cap that holds the strut in the tube). This left an 1/8 of an inch play which caused the rattle....stupid me. Any way I put those in and now it feels like a new car. Oh yeah also when I took my old drums off I found that the drum piston on the left side was out and bent!!!!! :shock: remember the vibration I had and thought it was the drive shaft? You got it...after my disk upgrade I drove it and SURPRIZE no more vibrations.... :D Im happy right now. So after the tranny work is done, I will attempt the CV swap.....more to come...

Oh I do have a drain plug! :D:D

Terry :?