HybridZ

What to do before firing an old motor?

What steps do I need to take before firing up an engine thats been sitting for years. It turns over freely by hand. I dont mean what parts I need to replace, Im talking about a pre-fire checklist of sorts. Things like primimg the oil pump, ect. Last thing I need to dois trash this thing upon first starting it.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I recommend squirting some penetrating oil like household 3-in-1 oil in the spark plug holes to help make sure the pistons move ok. My personal preferrence is to pull the plugs and buzz it some with the starter to get the engine oil circulating good and then put the plugs back in to start.

Checklist would be things like make sure all spark plugs look good.

Double-check timing.

Double-check timing. :wink:

Check to make sure distributor is secure.

Check any applicable gauges that you have hooked up. (Fuel pressure, Oil pressure, etc)

Hook up some mufflers if the engine does not have any exhaust on it. Sure un-capped sounds good, but it will make it difficult to hear any problems.

Anyone else want to chime in?

well..

-everything Nic said,

-Check timing again,

-Check plugs/wires/cap/rotor.. actually, probly just replace them all right now...cant hurt anything

-check oil, and maybe change it if it's really black or smells like gas

-Make sure that the gas in the tank/lines/fi system or carb is good and has not gone stale/gummy

-make sure the air filter/intake plumbing is not cloged/blocked

-Make sure throttle linkages and cables move freely and dont stick/bind

-check for obvious vacume line/wiring breaks and conections

-have a fire extingiusher handy -> My Z almost caught fire the day I went to buy it: one of the FI rubber hoses on the fuel rail bubbled out and started leaking/dripping and pooling on the intake, and spilling over onto the exhast manifold. My buddy noticed some smoke and screamed at me (I was in the car reving it at like 3500 rpm!) "HOLY $H!T SHUT HER DOWN!!!! GAS LEAK!!!!". VERY SCARRY :shock:

-Pray to god/satan (your choice :lol: ) and turn that key!

.... nothing like that moment of tooth...