HybridZ

Low $$$ Z car SBC conversion: possible or not???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Rolling Parts
I have always loved Z cars, but thought that they were way, way to expensive for the power they delivered. .

Well, the whole world disagrees with you.

The first gen Z's were considered real bargains on price AND they were also much more powerful that the TR's, MG's Opels, etc that were around at the time they were new. Today they are STILL bargains and plenty of power can be had from the L6 (250hp from simple turbo ZX bits).

Best place to find decent cars in Houston is in San Antonio, Austin, or Dallas. Houston has no good cheap Z car chassis just waiting to be bought. Seriously. You can find running cars sometimes ( http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1260914881.html)

Engine/transmission in any kind of decent shape will be priced as such. All the salvage yards are on-line and prices are going to be uniform these days. Craigs List has a complete combo with radiator for $800 (http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1270238486.html)

• 4 months later...

I just did my v8 swap on a 83 zx znd i sold my good running 6 cyl and trans for 1000.00 and bought a nice used goodwrench 350 and turbo 350 trans turn key for 1000.00 out of a 68 elcamino. Then JTR mounts and headers for 501.00, drive shaft cut 200.00 and jtr diff flange 60.00. I used my stock radiator and took the electric fan off the elcamino free. Used shifter traded for stuff and cable for shifter at pep boys 50.00 I also had to buy 2 radiator hoses ,and exhaust gaskets about 25.00. As for exhaust i spent 30.00 so far 2 90degree elbows and to 2ft pipe extensions that slide into the back of elbows. I had to trim them and weld them to fit and hammer in areas by shifter linkages on pipe. Also bolts to bolt of flanges to headers3/8 x1 1/2l bolts and matching nuts plus gaskets mine took 1 month to swap over fun but lots of hidden expenses little ones hope i helped. Buy a decent running car and ebay all the parts you don't need will help fund project,thats what i did!

I bought my car with the engine in it but not hooked to any thing. The radiator was there and motormounts and headers were there but I still spent over $2000 getting it on the road, For instance:

Wireing harness 300

Exhaust 400

Tilton Clutch master 100

LT1 Plug wires & looms 130

Alum Drive shaft 80

Shorton driv shaft 140

Molded hoses about 120

Intake air sys 125

Rear T56 mount 75

B&M shifter 100

Tauras fan 35

Fan Variable spd controller 125

2 gal coolant 27

Oil/ filter 12

Wire and connectors 25

Spark plugs 30

Ac Delte pully 40

Power streering delete 50

Gates Fan belt 31

280Z tank 150

BMW and Datsun fuel pumps 50 You never get right the first time

Fuel sender 40

Oil sender 15

Shift knob 30

O2 sensors 40

I guess you get the point. I know that I have left out a bunch of stuff. It never ends and it's never done for instance I think I am going to have to put some different O2 sensors on the car to get the fuel economy right. There's another $40. If you want it to turn out nice and run without any problems, then this is what it will take.

Don't take short cuts because you will get discusted and abandon the project because it will never run right

Good luck

Don't take short cuts because you will get discusted and abandon the project because it will never run right

x2

Do it right or do it twice. The only things I have broken are the things that I skimped on.... at least so far.

Old saying:

Pick TWO..... Fast, Reliable, Cheap