HybridZ

weight of a V8 Monza?

Guest plainswolf

Guest plainswolf

Anyone know what the stock weight of the chevy monza is?

There's one running around town with a mild(?) V8 in it and I want to know what Kind of power to weight ratio I maybe running up against in time.

Its the it's the monza mirage body type type if thats any help..

Guest plainswolf

Aha!,,,

Of course, these are with the 4cylinder engines... some look pretty close to my 74.5 in stock trim..

Curb weight - full gas & fluids w/4 cylinder engine:

1HM27 2-dr notchback coupe 2726

1HM07 2-dr hatchback coupe 2782

1HM77 2-dr hatchback coupe 2695

1HM15 2-dr station wagon 2754

1HR27 2-dr notchback coupe 2781

1HR07 2-dr hatchback coupe 2823

this ought to be interesting..

I had one of those once - it had a body kit on it and was painted white with red and blue stripes like the IMSA racer. However, it had a wimpy 140 HP 305 SBC in it. :cry:

So, not to worry!

BTW, you had to loosen the bolts on the drivers side motor mount and jack up the engine to change the spark plugs.

Guest greimann

Here is one dug up from the old picture drawer. Same body as a Monza but is an Oldsmobile Starfire, '77. Can you tell I started my blackout trim preference with this car?

oldsstarfire.jpg

Guest plainswolf

Ya but I have to admit, that looks pretty good though!

I think thats what this guy has in town here... the olds starfire... at least I know he did have that model..

My sister had a 76 Olds Starfire. They came with the buick 3.8 litre engine (called a 231 back then). Pretty quick engine, BUT that car was one of the biggest POS ever made. The car was a hurry up design to try in get a "small" car following the oil embargo in 73. The front end was a worthless design that would not hold an alignment. It would go through a set of tires in 6 months to a year. The doors were something like 4 feet long and weighed 800 pounds each. They weighed too much for the hinges so by the time the car was 5 years old you had to lift the door to shut it. The car went through 3 transmissions in 7 years, the hatch never closed right and all the mirrors and interior parts fell off. The one thing that was nice was the V6. I talked my sister into buying that car instead of a Volkswagon Rabbit (since it was the Rabbit's first year) and I don't think she has ever forgiven me for that.

The V8 Monza's had notoriously cramped engine compartments. Rumor had it the service manual required you had to loosen one of the motor mounts and jack one side of the engine up a few inches to gain access to the spark plugs. Well thought out design.

Don't know how fast they were but I am truely amazed that anyone bothered to keep one alive all these years. My appologies to anyone who formed an emotional attachment to one as their "first car", but that particular model is one of the primary contributors to GM's bad reputation for reliabilty when compared to Japanese cars.

I had a Monza 2+2 with the 3.8 6, and a 4 speed. It was a fun car, but like Sup Dog said it was poorly built. I had the hinge problems with the doors, I had trouble getting it into 1st gear, body panels didn't fit right, major rust problems. But over all it was fun to drive.

Guest plainswolf

Ya.. I agree.. but some people sure seem to like em for some reason..

I think the guy here in town really thinks it's fast from the way it looks and sounds.. etc..

Personally I had a few friends with them and I never really cared that much for them other than I liked the smaller car concept... but thats about it..

They don't really impress me too much but I do know, as we all do, that if a person wanted to bad enough, I wouldn't doubt they could make it into a pretty fast car.. handling might be an issue who knows. I also found this site:

http://www.v8monza.com/

So it sounds like some are pretty serious about it..