HybridZ

1979 280ZX 2+2 Speaker access ???

Guest CS_280ZX

Guest CS_280ZX

Hello, i currently am a proud owner of a 79 280ZX and i am need of access to the front and rear speakers, the ones at the front i feel i wont have much trouble getting to. however, the rear speakers ( behind the drivers seats in the walls) are behind a slotted panel, and i am unsure on how to safely remove the panel without damage to the spring clips ( i think ) that hold it in place, as they need replacing.

Cheers

Carl. :)

Just looked at mine, they've been laying on the table downstairs for a year now. Your gonna have to take off the rear panels to get to the speakers. The grilles are held on by little flat metal fasteners pushed over plastic pins on the back of the grille. I'd say if you try to pull them off, you're gonna break the pins off. If I had batteries for the digital camera tonight, I'd post you a pic. I'll get some tomorrow and try to get one up.

Yep, spring clips. Mines also a '79 2+2 (Fairlady 280Z) but the rear panels are out of a US 280ZX. They're the same as the J-spec ones were (except for the large pieces of ripped vinyl). Maybe a mid-year change or something :?: There are no screws for the speaker grilles at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jjohart

Don't kid yourself, the front speakers are not easy to work on, and if you have a 79, be careful pulling off that dash cap! Cracks and chips in the act of flexing it off are no fun!

John-83 280ZXT 2 + 2

• 1 month later...