HybridZ

Some info on the Aluminum 5 lug Hubs and their Brake setup.

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Just a thought here for some easiy/cheep R&D Juan: Put the hubs on your car (or a good friends maybe..if they agree), and drive the shit out of it for a few months and see if anything happens! I mean, you'll know they are there and will be 'prepared' in a sence if they fail right? Something else I thought of.. Get the hubs anodized. That would make them a bit tougher I think.. At work most of the aluminium parts (tooling/end of arm) we do get anodized before final assy. to make sure it will be tough enough to survive vibration/shock/heat over long periods of time.

If any of my privious posts were taken as 'bashing' or being rude, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything like that; I was going for 'constructive critisizm' :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I know the hubs wont go anywhere for a fact since they will be made tougher than an adapter put on the end of the hub. Its the whole heat issue inside the bearings and stress over time. I personally don't see there being any problem and I don't think driving around with them for a few months will convince anyone. We are talking some arm and leg costly research here Datsun Lover. What I was trying to represent was critical points of strength added to my hubs. I wasn't going to cut corners in that area. There is still a chance I can get these out affordably. The aluminum hubs would be built massively larger than the stock hubs. The added wheel flange for the extra offset would make your Eyes pop out and say wow look at that huge 5 bolt pattern flange.Areas that Datsun shaved down on the hub I would leave for added strength. Im using the word shaved its really a cast hub. But you know what I mean

Thank you

Juan

Ok I admit Im a car magazine junkie just not much of the rice variety. I was looking through my newest issue of HOT ROD and found that wilwood makes some disk brake swap kits that include new aluminum hubs. Im not sure what car as I dont have the magazine in front of me but there is a whole article on it. Its in the Feb. issue. This caught my attention so I started looking for similar setups and then found that Heidt's Hot Rod front suspensions come with a polished aluminum hub option. If they are doing it they have tested it I am sure and I cant wait to see what other companies might already be doing the same thing. I think contacting these companies or researching to see what kind of aluminum alloy they are using would be a huge insight to this cause.

I have been doing some looking myself. I was reading that Forge aluminum is the way to go heated to 700 degrees. alot of money. This info was provided from BME and Wilwood webpage .BME supplies connecting rods and pistons out of aluminum for 6000 hp hotrods

Sure it seems like wow that is going to be so expensive. That's what it would take.

Ill keep my eyes out for the oppurtunity. In the mean time I got some top secret work going along :-D