HybridZ

Turbo newbie question

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

For my next car, I am considering getting a car with a turbo (Subaru Impreza WRX sedan). I am curious as to what is involved with upgrading turbos (cost, difficulty of work, SMOG considerations).

I would like to be able to boost to about 300 WHP, and I believe the engine and drivetrain can handle that, but I am not sure, and the last thing I want to do is make a mod that would make a significant impact on the reliability of the car.

I am also looking for any open opinions about turbo engines, and any pros or cons.

my fellow z owners.... Speed is gonna cost money.. lots of it..

stock WRX sti is rated at 300hp, with that kind of power , you're

looking at around 240-250hp on the ground. you can then turn up the boost and maybe get close 300hp on the ground, if stock engine will

handle 5-8 more pounds of boost. you may also need to get o fmic to cool the diecharge air a lot better too. SPEED COST MONEY.....

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I already have a Z project.

I am looking to get something as a daily driver since it will be a while before I can work on or drive my Z again (or any Z). I like how smooth the Subarus ride, and would like to have a comfortable daily driver since the roads in my area suck, and my back is no longer going to be very tolerable.

well i have lots of boys with wrx's...

a few with STi's and others with reg wrx's from mild to wild.

a stock WRX has 227 hp at the flywheel.

with just a turbo back exhaust, no cat or high flow cat, boost controller, intake, and a better clutch your gonna be beating alot of F-bodys and corvettes.

learn how to launch them correctly and ur set.

not sure on dyno numbers because in FL where we lived there was only ONE awd dyno and he hasnt had time. but he has the following.....

BPM type-2 3inch exhaust (by far the Best exhaust systems for a wrx) and downpipe too, blitz FMIC kit, IHI VF30 turbo, Turbo XS UTEC, GReddy E-01 boost controller, not sure what fuel pump, HKS header, blitz super sound bov, all Defi gauges, light wheel flywheel, not sure what clutch, Turbo XS 650cc injectors, and a few little other things here and there..

runs 11's on stock tires.. and with shit tuning.. he has spent mega money buying the right parts.. he could have done it way cheaper but still. he is a bling bling person... heck u can run open exhaust, boost controller, and a 75 shot and ur in the low 12's :)

he has suspension parts too but thats the power ones, or most of them atleast.

300whp is alot in a wrx.. they do have tranny problems and when u do wanna upgrade to a better tranny the Dogbox trannys are like BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG bucks.. like 4 or 6 grand if i remember correctly..

i say get one, get a boost controller, intake, exhaust, good clutch, bov, fmic and ur set for abit.. or just a 18G turbo or 20G and some fuel upgrades and call it a day :)

mike

mike

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

What about having a turbo engine (in general)? Is there anything that is going to be a particular downside? Anything to consider before buying a turbo car like a wrx? I know that they arent going to launch very hard, but I am not too worried about that. I may not even need to do any upgrades really. I just want to make sure that my comfy ride knows how to accelerate when I need/want it to.

no wrx's LAUNCH hard!

just learn how and ur set like i said.

yeah deff get a up pipe if u get a wrx.

i wouldnt get another other new car besides a wrx..

love the evo too :)

only down side to a turbo is well.. i dont think there is any.. hehe.

great gas mileage if u dont get into boost all the time, awesome sound, power, and easy as hell to get power too.

mike

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I thought that turbo setups were typically pretty weak until you hit boost... Isnt a 2.0 engine with a turbo just like any other 2.0 engine until about 3500+RPM?

true but its a flat four.. they make good power down low too.. and yes its not as fast untill u hit boost... plus the stock boost on a wrx sucks... it hits high then tapers off to like 8lbs.....

mike

Ok you guys are talking about power and how great turbos are.. some of you touched on the gas mileage issue, but I think you may be looking for more what you are in for...

1: Turbo cars are far more sensitive to oil... you MUST change your oil and filters.. that turbine spins 100,000rpm + and it needs good oil. If you think you want to abuse your daily driver with minimal maintenance, then don't even think of a turbo car.

2: Turbos need cool down time. You can't go tearing up the road, and then just park the car and shut it off... again.. the turbo is still spining and needs oil... Cool down time is MANDATORY!!!!!!!!!! or ELSE expect big $$$$$$ and short engine life. I ALWAYS take it easy for the last mile or so heading home. I just keep the rpms low, and stay off the boost. I then pull in my driveway, and listen to the radio for 1 song.. 2 or more if I have been driving the car hard. This gives the turbo time to spool down, and cool off. Purchasing a turbo timer is an option as well, and lets you leave the car with it still running and it will shut down on its own after a preset time.

I have had turbo engines with 200K on them.. no problems...(all Z's of course)

3: You MUST use high octane fuel, and if you turn the boost up, you better be running it. 91 octane is not high octane.. so if you can't find anything higher than 91, then beware. Where I live, I can get sunoco 94.. this gives me more room to run higher boost than someone who can only get 91 octance..

PS more people should consider this when reading about other peoples cars here on the forums... (altitude is a factor as well)

4 Turbo cars are (personal opinion) easier to drive in the winter... as long as you stay off boost, you are effectively driving a low power low compression engine.. I've had excellent success in the snow with turbo cars...

5 Gas mileage can be pretty decent if you stay off the boost. nothing like having a 12 sec car, that can get 20+mpg when just cruising...hehehe

hmm maybe this should be a sticky up at the top for guys wanting to go turbo and some things they better know before doing a swap...

Guest bastaad525

Everything I know about newer turbo cars like the subie and mitsu EVO... there is not simply 'turning up the boost' on these cars... their EFI computers are very smart and also excersice EXTREME amounts of control over just about every aspect of the motor. From what little info I've gathered you can NOT just throw on a boost controller, intake and exhaust and expect the car to behave right.

That's why I got me a 1G DSM for 10 times less of EVO. :D

The newer the car gets, harder to overcome the high tech ECU. Personally, OBD-I is what I like the most. Most tuned car uses OBD-I. e.g Hondata, DSM datalogger, on and on. OBD-II likes to throw a fit when you start to run boost, leaded fuel and other bad things we are not suppose to do :D

Guest bastaad525

yeah OBD sux... that's why I love old tech like 280zxt's :)

Yo you bastard... stop getting new toys :-P I wouldn't mind having an AWD 1G DSM... seems like those things are super easy to make 12 or even 11 second cars, and they can do so while still looking completely sleeper... the 1G's were never very flashy looking cars.

Guest bastaad525

...... selling your Z for a DSM... now THAT is blasphemy... what's wrong with you man?!?!?!? Just save up the money the hard way.

Killer deal for $1200 if I ever come across one for that cheap I'll start selling kids to get the cash quick (heheh good thing I have no kids yet!).