HybridZ

GTO Dash in Fiberglass?

TomoHawk

Is there anybody making a complete dash GTO style in fiberglass. I think it would be better to replace the whole thing instead of grafting on just the dash pod. You get some weight saving, you can fix the wires and you can probably eliminate things you don't want or need.

thx.

merry cross-mas.

Hmmm... you know what? I don't like that too much... personally, I like the twin guages in front of the wheel and the 3 smaller ones in the middle of the dash... Its funny.. my girlfriend has a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am and her dash actually copied the datsun Z! Just look at one sometime (they are everywhere!) There are no guages in the middle, just air vents.. but the look is there..

I bought the V-style (Simpson) dash. I'm not sure how I'll configure the gauge cluster. I was also thinking that the tach should be front and center, but I'm not sure it would look right. One of these evenings when I have nothing better to do, I'm going to make upsome template gauges to mimick the Autometers I'm planning on and play with different configurations.

I've decided not to go for the 60s look. I had originally planned to stay as true to original as possible, but there are quite a few 250 GTO replicas out there. Since, the VR is not a true 250 GTO replica anyway I've decided to go for a modern interpretation of the design.

So, the gauges will be more modern as will many other aspects of the car. I don't have it all worked out yet. The ideas are still evolving in my mind's eye. :roll:

At this point I am planning on shaving the door handles entirely.

Tomohawk - check out this thread http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28380&start=0

BTW, I used old Stewart Warner gauges in my dash. http://www.hybridz.org/Review/0002/GTO_31.jpg

The "Simpson" dash looks more like the original GTO dash but does not have provisions for heater controls, radio, vents, etc.

The "Alpha" dash actually goes over the original sheet metal skeleton and has provisions for all the original controls, vents, etc. Also, the Alpha dash was set up to use the original Datsun Z gauges if you want to.

I like Your setup. It's not 62 Enzo, but a nice contemporary rendition. Would probably do it that way myself. No broken, faded kirinkle finish? (My dad's vintage plane has that- real old). Just no glovebox, huh? I'm sure you could find a way to cut a slot or something in there to stick your 'gloves.' Both of those dashes is supposed to have room for the heater controls, just not the center vents, which is I like. I want to keep my center vents: I only use vent, heat, defog anyway. Maybe you could mount the ound, side vents in the middle. Radio optional, of course.

BTW, have you ever toyed with the idea of putting a hose on the vent near your feet to the side vents, or just point it at the seats?

thx.

hey guys if anyone needs a custom gto dash contact me,i'll build it for you ,i built the dash and gauge cluster assembly for scotts gto (member name 250gto)you can also look at my site http://www.scorpionzcars.com and you'll see the gto dash that i built for the silver/red gtz and black gtz which have the 3 defrost vent tubes through the center of the dash ,the defrost tubes worked perfectly this way and it looked original.

sorry guys i'm not as good with computers as i'am with my cars so if anyone wants to post the dash photos feel free to as i don't know how to,SORRY still learning about computers.

i'am building another more modern version gto dash and i will be offering them towards the beginning of feb. 2004 they will be the same cost as the gto dash ,my dashes are one part ,not two or three parts that the customer needs to fiberglass together.

i will be adding more photos and items to my web site shortly,sorry it takes a while .

and i would love to hear any feedback on what you all think of my gtz and gto cars.

thanks everyone tom @ scorpionzcars

Yup - no glovebox but it would be easy to do. I added the MSA http://www.zcarparts.com armrest to the center console and put the items in there.

My kick panel vents have a molded rubber hose on them that points down at your feet. Since I don't have A/C this is great on hot days so I don't think I would want to change it.

I cut the center console right between the defroster switch and shifter hole, and I will have a fire extinguisher where the armrest was. I will have to look into putting a glove box into the dash. Maybe some velcro or a magnetic thing instead of a latch.