HybridZ

Who makes z31 cv adaptors for s30's

Ivan280zt

Ok here is whats going on. while back i got killer deal on 89 300zx (z31) lsd rear end with almost brand new cv's now i know that ross c makes adaptors for 280zx cv's but i have picture of z31 adaptors and now i am wondering if anyone knows anybody that makes them as well. guys any help is more that welcome.

Thanks

Ivan

Guest Phil1934

I'd like to know too. I found at least 4 300 Z's with CV axles at the Pull a Part, but no 280ZXT. I've also slid under a few 280ZX 2+2's and all have had U joint axles. I've e mailed modern-motorsports the question of a 300 axle adapter a couple times, but no response. I still have the all Japanese yard on Buford Hwy. to go through, though. What size socket do i need for the stub axle nut?

Phil1934

i have also emailed ross so i am waiting for response (no big hurry here) and i belive that u need something like 22mm for that nut but i am not really sure its been a while since i have taken one off.

Fl327

yes i know about s130 cv's but i already have ones from z31 and they "look" much nicer and stronger on other hand did't stony use z31 cv's? and are u saying that i can go and take s130 cv's take them apart and mate the outer section to z31 cv's ? btw custom is way out of price range but would be very nice to have :D .

Ivan

Guest HBskinheadZ

Ross does make them, I am waiting for a set from him right now. You need to send him a set of companion flanges so he can weld them on. Anyone who is running these please post some info on your install, I have flipped the cages on my cv's but my understanding is they are still a tight fit.

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah that pic that is posted of that adapter is in my Z. Here is the funny thing...on the 300zx's, the turbo model has 4-14mm bolts and the NA version has 6-10mm bolts. Now the 280zx is the exact opposite if I'm not mistaken....the turbo model has the 6-10mm bolts. I'm going to assume that both are just about equal in strength though, but I liked the idea of larger bolts on the 300zxt CV. Ross's adapters ran me $268 and that included shipping, and took about 4-5 weeks (if I remember right) from me shipping them out, to me recieving them. Very nice items and the only problem I ran into was the length of the CV axle. Ross helped me out and is a very good source of info.. The axles a bit long for a Z. If you jack up the suspension while installing the CV to about mid swing of the control arm, installation is a bit easier. The reason for this is that with the suspension fully unloaded the distance between your adapter flange (thats welded to the companion flange) and your diff. is actually shorter. Jacking it up will give you just a bit more room to squeeze them in.

I ran the car without flipping the ball and cage assembly, but I did experience a very little binding in hard cornering, and when I unbolted the axles to drop the diff out, I noticed the endcaps for the joint housings where pushed out some due to the axles being just a tad too long. The Adapter will hold the endcaps from coming completely out of the CV housing though. I ended up flipping the ball and cage assembly to get rid of the little bit of binding and for reassurance.

Flipping the ball and cage assembly on the outter joint, shortens the axle about 3/8". The ball bearings are in a specific location so don't reinstall them wrong. Also the inner and outter races are located in a specific alignment, so make sure to scribe a mark to get the realigned if you disassemble them. I was able to just wrap some tape around the ball and cages, and then just flip them without the balls coming out or the races misaligning, after learning the hard way about the ball bearing and race alignment needing to be in a specific location. :x I think that about covers everything to do with the swap. Again, Ross's 300zx adapters work great for me and the craftsmanship is great.

Chase

Chase

hey man thanks for GREAT info that will save me lots of pain lol you know i was just looking at picture of your car on cardomain last night and i was like "man i can swear that i have seen picture of this z on hybridz somwhere" silly me :roll: but you know whats cool your car is the first one on car domain under 240z and mine is first one under 260z heheheh hybridz representing :twisted: .

Ivan

Guest Phil1934

I did get an e mail from Ross. He makes 300 adapters for the 4 bolt axles, not 6. You have to flip the cages to shorten the axles. He is looking for feedback from people with this setup if it limits droop.

Guest 240hybrid

Thanks Ivan....Ross's adapters are A1 and work great. He included the nuts/bolts necessary for installation also, which is cool as it saves me a few bucks. I'll have to email ross with some feedback as to the droop of the suspension when using the 300zx CVs. I'm almost 100% that they drop all the way down and CVs don't stop the suspension from dropping fully when jacked up from the diff. I still try to jack up one hub assembly at a time when possible just to avoid the CVs from pushing out too much on the endcaps just for peace of mind. Good luck to everyone that does this swap.

Chase

Guest Phil1934

Somebody convince me I do or don't need these. I found a set of 280ZXT axles today for $200, but it seems like a lot for junkyard axles. Especially when adding in adapters. 10:1 350 with 224/234 cam, 4 2 bbls, smog heads, T5, and standard 235/60-15 tires. Only racing it will see is a couple weekends at Reynolds.

Guest 240hybrid

Are you talking about ZAtlanta Phil? That is a good chunk of change if you ask me. ZAtlanta is getting a bit out of hand with their pricing lately. I would only give them about $60-$75 per CV...I mean come on, they're used CVs. I bought a couple spare 300zx CVs from there for only $50 per shaft....I had to pull one myself though. A bit of a pain to unbolt but doable without jacking the car up.

Chase

Guest Phil1934

Yes, Z Atlanta. I told him I needed both axles and he told me $90 +$25 core and i told him fine, but then he delivered them to the counter and said each! I'm waiting for Ross to measure some 300 non turbo axles and see if they will work as the Pull a Part on the southside has several. I got a R200 there for $60 with m bar and axles.

Guest Phil1934

Ross makes a thinner adapter for the 300ZX but you still need to disassemble the CV's and flip the cages to shorten the axle some. Use the 280ZXT axles.

Just looking at the two axles side by side the Z31 axles are longer when looking at the mounting flange. But with the 280ZXT shafts the adapter would need to be thicker because of the extension at the wheel end of the shaft. With a thinnner adapter it looks like they would be very close to the correct length which is why the adapters look so different.

My question is since I can use either with an adapter is one better than the other? The 300 shaft looks stronger but that is just my opinion and I am often wrong.