HybridZ

What a shame!

tdab

This is a local story about an accident earlier this week. The families of the deceased are supposedly go to sue the police for chasing the car. My question is where were the parents when the kids (look at the ages) were getting the car....read the last part about how they got it :shock:

Posted on Thu, Jan. 01, 2004 *****The Charlotte Observer******

DA looks at video of deadly wreck

Tape might be released soon on crash that killed 7 teenagers Monday

ERICA BESHEARS

Staff Writer

The district attorney for Iredell County has reviewed the police videotape of the pursuit and crash that killed seven Iredell County teens early Monday, and he hopes to make the tape available to the public, perhaps as early as Friday.

Garry Frank said he watched the tape in Statesville Wednesday morning. He still wants to review other evidence collected by the N.C. Highway Patrol before releasing the tape. Frank said he had received several public records requests for the tape, including one from The Observer.

Frank would not comment on his review of the case, other than to say it was routine for the district attorney's office to examine all fatal crashes, particularly those that involve police pursuits.

The N.C. Highway Patrol has said its preliminary look at the video showed no wrongdoing by Troutman police Officer Keith Bills.

Troutman police Chief Eric Henderson has said Bills followed the department's pursuit policy.

The Highway Patrol considers the crash a "priority investigation," Sgt. Everett Clendenin said, and officers are continuing to try to piece together a timeline of what happened and which factors contributed to the wreck.

Just after midnight Monday, Bills observed a 2001 white Dodge Intrepid weaving and speeding on U.S. 21. He followed the car for no more than 1.5 miles before turning on his blue lights and pursuing the car for about 15 seconds at about 100 mph before backing off, authorities said.

About a mile south of Statesville, the Intrepid, with a small spare tire on the right rear wheel, ran off the road, struck a tree and landed upside down in a creek.

All seven teens in the car were killed: the driver, John Lindsey Myers, 15; Antoinette Griffin, 13; Dominique Hurtt, 15; Antonio Miller, 13; Quentin Maurice Reed, 18; David Summers, 14; and Erica Stevenson, 15.

Mooresville police say Reed has been identified by victims as one of two assailants in a home-invasion robbery Sunday night, about two hours before the crash.

On Wednesday, Mooresville Chief John Crone said police had not yet identified the second assailant. They do not think he was among the passengers in the car because he was described as about 25 years old, Crone said.

Also Wednesday, Statesville police continued their investigation into how the teenagers, none of whom had driver's licenses, got the Intrepid. It was reported stolen after the crash.

Statesville Chief Stephen Hampton said the department had received several tips from the community about the stolen car. "We're trying to sort through what's fact and what's fiction, if any of it is accurate," he said.

You know what don't do the crime if you can't do the time. I know these kids died and that is sad but you get what you ask for. Stealing cars, driving with out a license, and speeding from the cops you asking to die. If the parents actually sue the police I hope they can turn it around and fine these idiots for not raising there kids and being overall idiots. OK I'm done ranting.

i second that amen. 13? 14? 15? at those ages, it's your job as a parent to know exactly what's going on, where they are, who they're with... apparently there's a bunch of people out there grieving the losses of their children... but are they stopping tho think that it's a situation they helped create? and don't give me none of that crap about "some kids are just gonna act up"..... acting up to me is more like the stupid rebellious stuff i did (which might someday be an oscar-winning move), not pulling burglaries and stealing cars. my brother-in-law's in jail right now, and i can tell you alot of thatreason is because of a lack of parenting at that vital time.

I think this is a lame attempt on the parents part to shift blame from themselves to the police. :x

As the parent of a minor child, you bear a certain amount of responsibility for your childs actions. IF this kid was involved in a forced entry earlier that night ,and ultimately KILLED a car load of his friends, :roll: I think his parents have done a pretty POOR job of raising him.

The parents of the other children/victims should have a pretty good wrongfull death case against the driver and his parents.

I found it interesting that the teens were driving at over 100 mph on a small spare tire ! I think this is a classic case of darwinism weeding out the unfit. Too bad the courts will probably blame the cops,and give the parents a huge settlement for raising idiots . Tom

Personally I'm glad these animals have been eliminated from the human gene pool before they were able to pro-create and pass on all their advanced traits. It's to bad the parents of these kids, especially the ones who are sueing weren't eliminated themselves before they passed on their own advanced genes.

OK enough of my ranting. It is sad these kids died before they had a chance to learn how to control themselves and become productive citizens. The parents should be held responsible for their actions, except for the 18 year old, maybe then they would take a little more interest in their kids and teach them right from wrong. I guess that's assuming the parents even know the difference.

Ken W.

Guest BigWhyteDude

the sad thing is the Department will probly end up settling this with the parents. I hate it for the parents but damn it the kids should not have been driving around in a stolen car. or driving at all for that matter. The kids brought it on them selves. Yeah its a sad day in that town but just b.c seven kids were killed running from the cops in a stolen car doesnt mean it was the cops falt. I dont see how the parents could even say it is. parents" Our kids died b/c you officers were chaising them", P.D. "but you kids ran from my officers in a stolen car," parents "Thats besaides the point" Such a crock of shat,

Andrew

I thought it was funny how they were trying to shift the blame to the police officer who was chasing him saying that he shouldnt have done so. So i guess cops aren't supposed to stop people in stolen cars that are speeding, and if the cops did and they tried to and get away is the cop supposed to give up?!?! Also how would a cop know if they were underage or kids?

i will say though in davidson the cops are going crazy, we have a new police cheif who is all crazy, we have lots of new cops, crime scene ivestigation vans, and hes trying to buy a hummer and a chopper. This is for a litttle samll town!! They have also launched a campaign agaisnt speeders to "improve the quality of life" which is ridiculous, we have super low speed limits as it is. I was behind a school bus doing 40 in a 25 those are the people they need to stop. I got an 18 over, guess i kinda deserved that one lol. But enough of my ranting...

Hey tdab, just what G-town are you located in?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
OK I'm done ranting.

Amen! Slap those parents with criminal neglect!

It is a sad story, their crimes certainly did not warrant the result, and they certainly didnt need to pay in that way for their parents' lousy job as parents, but they did make the choice.