HybridZ

WTF - Accelerating hard under boost and engine shuts off!

Brad-ManQ45

Guest bastaad525

very very common problem on the 81-83 zxt's and consequently, on turbo swapped 240's. Nine times out of ten this problem can be solved by disconnecting every connection involved with the EFI... unplug the ECU, AFM, TPS, Head temp sensor, all injectors, and get a can of electric parts cleaning spray (though guys on here tend to recommend brake parts cleaner spray... why is this? anyways either one will work fine) and spray every connector, both on the wiring harness, and on the sensor/injector/etc connector ends too. Spray it ALLLL off with this stuff (might need two cans) let it dry out and reconnect everything. This will usually solve the problem. This will also 'reset the ecu' as fl327 suggested. Since I've done this to my setup, I will occasionally notice it 'going back to it's old ways' and this will usually clear right up if I just dis-and-reconnect the connectors at the ECU, hence, again, resetting the ECU, w/o necessitating spraying everything off again. It's probably a good idea to spray everything off every so often anyways to keep debris and corrosion from building up and causing problems.

If this DOESN"T solve the problem, then hold on tight you're in for a wild ride in figuring out what it is!! At that point it could be: short in the wiring harness, bad ecu, bad afm, bad sensor, bad injector(s), bad fuel pressure regulator, first signs of a bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or other areas of the fuel system... and the list goes on and on....