HybridZ

SR20 Swap (Yes I searched)

Guest PouliMo

Guest PouliMo

Hey all,

I've searched here and on Z-Car.com but can't really find what I'm looking for. I want to swap an SR20DET into my 71 240Z. I know it's been done but I'm curious as to what needs to be bought. I know I need Engine, Tranny, ECU, Wiring Harnesses, but what else? Also, is this a direct bolt-in or do I need to weld in new motor mounts? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joe Mollica

Front clip for all engine stuff. Factory efi on those isnt bad at all, but then I have a biased view, I have like 100 hours or more of staring at Datsun/Nissan wiring from 1970-1996 cars, and using Nissan factory harnesses and screwing with them too much.

Johnc, betamotorsports.com i think, made some mounts and was talking about making some more.

Guest bastaad525

I think if I ever got another 240 or did another swap, this is the motor I'd go with, assuming prices stayed reasonable as they are now. I know a lot of people are against losing two cylinders but the hairdryer can more than make up for it... plus you get a moder, reliable, flexible (they are pretty flexible for adding boost aren't they?) EFI system, and the flexibility of dual cams, a good weight savings and better weight biasing, and still a good cieling as to how much max power you can reliable pull out of stock internals... seems like a good trade to me. I do wish someone whos done one would chime in as to the difficulty of actually getting it in, how far off the mounts are and such... hell I wish more HybridZ guys would start doing these and build up the knowledge base!

SR20s are an unreal motor, but why limit your self? if you get over about 300wrhp you will loose the driveability. If you get 2 more cyl and another 1lt or so will make all the difference.

Have you ever driven one with about 300 HP, just going down to the shops to get the milk is very annoying.

Stock you would prob put out about 150hp at the wheels where my VG30 is putting out 230hp at the wheels STOCK. Boost and an intercooler and you are looking at above 300HP. Heaps of low down torque which makes driving everyday a breeze.

Just my 2cent worth

Guest ZmeFly

When the VG30ET if thats what you are talking about only put out 205 hp. The SR20DET puts out that much stock.

There are 3 SR20DET swaps here in PA, one in a 240SX, 350hp daily driver, one in a Sentra 415, not daily driver, and one another Sentra putting out about 300 with bolt ons and boost.

I cant see how that is limiting. It all depends on how you set it up.

I have seen SR20 with over 600hp - but they are a 2Lt

and i was Talking about the VG30DET, mine put out 230HP at the wheels and that is pretty stock

I love the SR20 its an awesome little motor... and it would be very cool in a 240z but i can think of better motors. I wouldnt go down that route

Its not a "bolt-in" swap right now. No one makes a kit and each installation is basically a custom job. Once Amir finishes his swap and gets some testing done on it I might offer a weld in kit that includes the motor and transmission mounts.

You can use the stock engine mounts in the 240Z but that's a far from ideal place. Because of the alternator location on the SR20DET the engine has to be mounted up higher then it needs to.