HybridZ

I've got another conversion, kind of boring though

mobythevan

Looks like I am getting a 1985 Ford F-350 crew cab 1 ton dually with a blown up 6.9l diesel engine and 4 spd mnual tranny. This was cheap way for me to get into a truck like this, but I don't know anything about ford engines, so my initial thoughts were to throw a sbc 350 and my GM 4 spd manaul tranny into it built for mid range torque around 375 ft/lbs. Being all into the engine swapping thing now it doesn't seem to bad. I couldn't find conclusive info that a ford 460 truck engine will bolt right in, and they seem to be a little hard to find or I would just go that route. So I figure make new motor mounts, tranny mount, new exhaust, re-work driveshaft, maybe relocate shifter and go with a sbc. It doesn't look like the 6.9/ diesel made any more than about 300 torque anyway. I am not into diesel engines at all, so if any of you guys have some general info for a swap like this let me know. The biggest thing that worried me was the HEI distributor interferring with the firewall, but looks to me likes there is a lot of room under the hood. The diesel radiator is big, would I have to change that out to a smaller one? The diesel fuel tanks are different, would I have to swap that too? Oh boy, just what I need, another conversion project. :D This truck is for my wife, I don't think she is partial to diesel engines either. BTW, I don't have to emission it :P

STAY DIESEL!!! :P

Really, stay diesel if you can. Simple boost and exhaust upgrades net some huge gains. Add a little propane injection and I'm sure you would be seeing close to 500lb ft of torque. Or...you could always look into swapping a newer motor from one of the newer trucks. You'd have to update to OBD2, but I'm sure a diesel F350 front clip is not in high demand. If you want to see what Stacey on "Trucks! TV" does to diesels, goto http://www.powerblocktv.com

The power potential is amazing. I also have a vid of a lifted F350 diesel with huge off-road type tires running 11.42 down the 1/4 mile :twisted:

Guest BigWhyteDude

i think that vid is somewhere on this site, i cant remember though, it was done in at Las vegas Motor speedway if that helps,

Andrew