HybridZ

Successfull businesses...Ideas needed for the next career!

Mikelly

Two words for you: "real estate". The only reason I'm not into it is I like to stay small and hate paperwork... otherwise I'd be "leasing to own". You can buy a house (you don't need to be a realtor) by making a deal like this: nothing down, make the monthly payments with the promise that if it's not sold you'll pay them $1,000 at the end of 1 year. Then they've got 1 years rent + 1k. Looks good to them! You turn around and lease to own with you financing it. They put down a cash downpayment, pay it out for 5 years at the end of which they have a one month window with the option to purchase. They don't have to have it all payed off, but they don't get that option 'til then. Of course alot happens in five years... most people don't follow through. All that time they've been paying the maintenance (because it's their house!) rent to the owners plus some to you + the cash downpayment.

Word to the wise: the market is gonna crash... I'm not a prophet and don't know exactly when but all signs point to it. Gold and silver are on the upswing but they're not nearly as high as they're gonna go. Silver's a better buy right now. Get out of most stocks while you can. JMHO of course.

Hi Mike,

Here are a couple ideas ,how about a package shipping buisiness. The customer can fax a letter, have you wrap and box their goods and arrainge for shipper pickup.Several of these stores in my area have been bought up by ups and fed ex.If you started in a growing area you could make money while growing the buisiness.later you might be able to sell it to one of the big boys and continue to operate as a franchise.

The other idea is to run a combat flight simulater this is the ultimate computer game.these are real flight simulaters that the customers can fly. You set up squadrons and groups can fly against others or the computer. This is an offshoot of a local ontrepanuer who used off the shelf parts to design an (inexpensive) simulater for an aerospace defence contractor. Later, Tom

I`ve been looking in to building a couple self storage buildings. MUCH better than renting houses with plumbing, electrical,ect to go wrong, and very little maintanance.

Depending on the prevailing rate, you should be able to average 40.00-50.00 per unit, per month. Thats 6400-8000 a month even if you figure 200 units at only 80% capacity.

In you area there are probably quite a few of these already, but you can always count on more people buying more stuff.

Every new apartment complex that goes up, is a new market. Just send out flyers to the residents of ALL of the existing apartment complexes, and new ones being built. In the flyer you could use several tactics to sway them to switch over to yours.

I would price them at about 5.00-10-00 lower per month than the competition and/or offer the first month free with a copy of their last month paid recipt from another facility.

Guest Tht1KSguy

Mike, if you're looking at buying forclosures definately do some reading on preforclosures. I'm currently moving out of engineering and into this part of the real estate business. Other ideas would be to pick up a book called "The Millionaire Next Door" and read about those people. Just like the title says it's about a bunch of people that made a lot of money doing normal things. Been a couple years since I read it but businesses like car washes, storage units and laundry mats were pretty high up the list. I think the next big growth area for "small" business will be anything that helps larger businesses recover waste... as in wasted time, wasted money, wasted resources, wasted energy & wasted talent. Surely there is a niche there somewhere in the wild world of federal government you're around :)

A lot of ppl I know are waiting for the current real estate bubble to burst. My goal in the long run is to build low income government subsidized housing (retirement communities) for the Boomers as they bankrupt themselves on the high cost of healthcare, out of control consumer debt and their total lack of retirement savings as they retire in droves in the coming decades and have to downsize. Keep racking up that credit card debt everyone. But hey... I could be wrong. :roll: Anyone want to get on the waiting list early?

Framing shop, as in picture frames. If you are interested in franchises, I would venture to guess that there is probably a one out there. If notI'm sure you could go it on your own.

From what I have seen (as a customer), the store buys a large variety of the frames that come in pieces cut to specific lengths; the same applies to the glass, matt and backing. Customers come in, especially around Christmas, pick something out, you go to the shelves, pull the appropriate sized pieces and assemble.

I can;t point to any specific data or data source, but I have heard from an employee of a frame shop that it is quite lucrative.

My personal oppinion on making a frame shop successful is: location, location, location. A store in a popular large mall, or a fancy strip mall in a ritzy suburb would be the key.