HybridZ

Installing quarter glasses in my 240z, Help!!!

Guest Paul Johnson

Guest Paul Johnson

Hi, I bought new wheather stripping for my 240z from precision parts and it all installed great except for the rear quarter glasses. After I put in the new seal the chrome trim parts would not meet back together in the corners. There is a 3/16 gap there now, and it is making it very difficult to install the windows back onto the car. The windows just will not not go back far enough to start the four bolts that hold it into the window. I can start the bolts a little side ways and it will pull the window in some what but there is still a gap at the very rear corner of the window, And the seal that goes on the outside of the window is not wanting to fit right either I think it's because of the tight fit. Any help from you guys that has done this before would be great. Thanks, Paul

Tough question. This seems to be common place in that aftermarket weatherstripping prevents things from fitting right (especially doors). I'd attempt to use a drift pin to pry the holes into alignment (using front ones while inserting the bolts in the back ones. I know the holes are small, but I have nothing else to offer. If you're in a cold environment, you may want to warm the gasket (and window) up a bit to soften it. Something like a pilot light in an oven should provide enough warmth to do this, or on top of a furnace vent in the house, etc.

I had the same problem when installing the weather stripping kit from VB. It was a real bear. My memories a bit hazy, but I beleive I lubricated it with vaseline, both when I put the glass back in the frame, and when installing the frame on the car. I started a bottom bolt, and used a visegrips to hold the top in. The driver's side was much easier than the pass.

Phil

Anyone consider installing them with butyl tape instead of weatherstripping? Seems like it would be a lot easier, and would still seal well. Any windshield installers out there? Is this a dumb idea? Don't know how to make it look good, but sealing well shouldn't be a problem...

Jon

Guest Zachb55

I had this same problem when putting my quarters back in just recently, but the fix is easy. JUST MUSCLE IT. yeah, i know no matter how hard you push it doesnt seem like it wants to go back in there, but it will, i had given up on mine twice before i got another person to help me and push it back there with their butt really hard while i pulled it into position and got a couple bolts in. after that a little more manhandling got the rest in. good luck with it, get someone to help ya out.

-Zach

How about using longer screws to help pull it in, then switch to the short screws.

Longer screws won't help. The problem is it's very difficult to slide the assembly back (towards the rear of the car) far enough to line up with the holes.

I've restored about 30 some pre-79 Z's and you guys have all mentioned what has become the "steps" to re-installing those panes.I've always used a halogen lamp to pre-heat the unit while it sets in the resess home,then in about 10 mins. pull it out and spray a soapy solution(any) on the rubber contact points and quickly slide the pane towards the rear of the void, then quickly slide your hide into the cabin and slide a icepick or straight o-ring tool into the worst aligning holes and lean the tool towards the rear of the car until you can begin to safely thread a bolt.If the tolerances seem too wide then continue to smack the the frame firmly towards the back of the void until you can line up the the holes better.I can't stress enough for you to use common sense regarding these things:1-always chase threadholes and pre fit bolt. 2-make sure the old bolts are worthy of reuse.3-bear in mind the factory coach builders were custom fitting each of these panes,which of course translates as "pains". oh yeah,for crying out loud,make sure you clean the hole good prior,like yo momma toad ya' :lol: