HybridZ

differential toasted?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, I think I finally figured out what it takes to break an R200 (not sure exactly what did it though).

When the tow truck was loading my Z up onto the flatbed (previous accident, long story if you dont already know), the wheel kept on stopping. It would roll, and then lock and slide, and roll some more. The transmission was not in gear, and the parking break was off. Does this sound like a broken differential to you all?

If it is broken, what's the chance that I would be able to salvage any gears from it? I REALLY liked the 3.96's!

Spider gears would make themselves known when you tried to turn, but not going straight. A pinion gear would clunk about every 3 feet, and a ring gear will clunk about every 10 feet while going straight. It should be pretty easy to tell which one is gone. Doesn't really matter though. You still have to pull it apart or replace it no matter which is bad.

Jon

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, it was locking about every foot and a half. If there isnt any chance that I will be able to save the parts that I want, I am not even going to bother opening it, unless a good case will sell for a few bucks :lol:

The only other thing I could think of is if there is something wrong with the brake assembly. The drum could have gotten whacked hard enough to be mis-alligned. Or maybe one of the pads came apart and is stuck to part of the wall of the drum. (I imagine that locking them up at 60MPH isnt very nice to the brakes).