HybridZ

Stripped exhuast bolt hole!!

wheelman

Well I pulled the exhaust manifolds off my iron head LT1 and found a stripped bolt hole. There are still threads in it but they are in bad shape and will not hold torque.

What is the best way to repair this?

Here are the ideas that pop inot my head.

1. Drill and tap to the next larger bolt size.

2. Drill and tap, then install a heli-coil kit for original size.

3. Have a machine shop weld up the hole and re-drill and tap.

I'm not sure a heli-coil will hold the torque, what do you guys think?

I do plan on having a value job done so maybe I should just have the hole repaired at that time.

Or should I just trash the iron heads and replace them with aluminum. I would do this but I really don't want to spend the extra $$$. Yeah I'm extremely cheap!!

Ken W.

I'd avoid a welded repair on an iron head, let alone a thread. A threaded hole is, by definition, a stress riser. Because of the high carbon content, iron has a nasty habit of breaking right next to the weld. High nickel filler rod + careful pre-heating helps, but it's still likely to crack. I've welded iron on occasion and my recommendation to you is to not weld it in this situation.

Helicoils are reliable. Just make sure you use the exactly the recommended size drill and tap and the Heli-coil installation mandrel and prewinder. I wouldn't hesistate to use one.

Bob

Although I have never installed a helicoil, I have had many (horrible) expieriences removing bolts that have been threaded into them. They always seem to work there way out do to corrosion adhearing to the bolt. IMO I would drill and tap to the next bigger size. You might first try to run the current size tap in there...you may be able to salvage the original threads.

Rufus