HybridZ

PRV V6?

Roggaman

Did some searching but came up with nothing.

Anyone tried to get some power out of a PRV (Peugot, Renault, Volvo) V6?

Seems to be a rather nice layed-out, all-alu engine that costs almost nothing to buy.

With forged pistons, modified heads and a few other changes + turbo you could get somewere around 450bhp very cheap (less then half the price of a VG30 setup)

Is it worth trying :?:

uh.. I wouldn't bother with it. It was never known to be a very good engine.. Volvo didn't use it very long, and they were plauged with problems/under-whelming power from what I've heard and seen. And a few head/other mods PLUS a turbo would get expencive IMO. I'd go for the volvo 2.3L Turbo motor. Only a 4 cyl, but very strong and easily modded for some power (IE; bump boost, open up the intake and exhast, ect) and Volvo used this motor for years. There should be plenty more of these around then the V6.

What datsunlover said.

My experience with that engine was in talking to the experienced mechanics at a Volvo dealership I worked at. Whenever one of those POS's came in, there was a fight about who was going to be forced to work on it. Supposedly REALLY hard to rebuild.

A buddy of mine has a 2.3 240 Turbo wagon and is pushing 300hp with no ill effects. Pretty cool, he got a Quaiffe style limited slip by TracTech and put that in the little Dana 30 out back. Fun wagon...

Jon

Maybe I'm just being stubburn, but I'm going to give it a try.

Most of this engines bad reputation comes from lose cylinder sleeves, and we found a way to cure that.

The heads have very god potential, but whoever decided to go with the final looks, I don't rank very high.

The heads are gone get rewelded chambers, straighten ports and some other jobs.

Me and my buddy owns a company that sells almost everything non-stock to cars, and we rebuild/modifyes engines also, so we get many parts very cheap and do all of the work ourselves.

We estimate the total build cost (for the engine, incl. turbos and engine management (MegaSquirt)) to be around 3000$.

Of course you couldn't get it this cheap if you payed full price for everything and let someone else put it together.

We'll see if I some day say:

"You were right" icon_withstupid.gif

or

"Told you it could be done"... icon_bow.gif

If you're bound and determined to do it you may want to check with the Delorean guys. I'm sure you already know that that is the engine they used, but you didn't mention it so I thought I'd throw that in there for ya, just in case.

Good luck. I'm hoping to eat crow on this one...

Jon