HybridZ

Need help! Car overheating!

I have a 73 240, with a 71 l24 and what are the symptoms of a z car overheating? My temp gauge goes up to H really quick sometimes and other times it doesnt.Its kind of weird because I could be driving for really long with the needle up near the H. Then I goto the store for lke 5 min and when I drive home the needle would be at the halfway mark the whole ride home. Im thinking maybe the thermostat is not opening? When I turn the heater on to help cool down the car, it doesnt do anything to help. Have any of you guys had this problem? Where is the thermostat located btw? THanks

IIRC, the stock temp sender is in the thermostat housing. Before you do ANYTHING I suggest that you find another way to check that the temp gauge is accurate. I would venture a guess to say that it is not. I switched from the stock temp gauge to an Autometer mechanical gauge, and there was a HUGE difference in what the gauge read, with no other changes. If it gets hot again, try to find a shop with a pyrometer (if you don't own one yourself) and see if they can verify the temps.

IME thermostats stick open or stick shut, they don't usually fail in a way that causes the car to run hot one day and cold the next.

Jon