HybridZ

240zt starting problem

DAT240Z

I just installed my 83zxt engine in my 240z, the problem I have is when the engine is cold the car will not idle I have to hold the gas down for a min. or two to get it a little warm before the car will idle on it's own, it I don't it just dies. When I installed the engine I did not hook up the carbon canister I plugged the intake where all the vacc. hose went also plugged the nipple on the bottom of the TB where one on the vacuum lines from the canister went. I did hook up the vacuum pump the one that's next to the AFM, and ran a vacc. line to the ACC valve and plugged the line going to the EGR. (Erg is not hooked up.) I'm also getting 15in of vacuums according to my boost gage when the car is idling not sure if that's good or not.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Sounds like your air regulator isn't working. It's the disk-shaped thing with two hoses and an electrical connection on top of your intake. It has a bimetallic element in it that allows air to bypass the throttle plate when it's cold, giving a higher idle. As the bimetallic element heats up, it closes the air bleed, returning idle to normal.Check for power at the connector when the engine is running. You should be able to blow through it when it's cold, but not when it's warm.

Good luck

Doug

Guest szlash280z

I don't have an air regulator. Mine does that too. I just say "oh well, F it." and put my foot on the gas for a minute. then I go inside and eat something while I wait for the engine to idle up to near op temp. then I drive it.

No idle equipment, and my car starts right up, I do have to blip the throttle in the morning to get the car to start, but it will idle smooth right away. what throttle body are you using, with the 240sx or z31 idle is adjustable, I set mine to 800 and it stays there ok. My startup hg is around -18, goes to 20-1 once I start driving it and alternator kicks on.

I would check for leaks in intake piping and everywhere else, egr wont affect idle, never had one. Never had stock tb so dont know if it could be issue or not, but deleting a lot of the cold start stuff could be an issue to with stock tb, just throwing out stuff here.