HybridZ

Wax by hand or use a polisher?

hauserdaddy

I was wondering if you guys have any opinions on the quality of your wax job using a buffer/polisher or doing it by hand? I have always done it by hand but with a very busy schedule, I have less time. Would a polisher cut down on the time? I have a orbital sander that is hook and loop. They make buffers that fit onto it for polishing and waxing. Is this something you would suggest using or would you get a polisher made for polishing cars?

Thanks!

I personally like waxing by hand. The only thing I would use a powered device for is polishing and buffing. Thats just me though... The sander idea might work, but it can be dangerous. With a sander you have the danger of burning the paint by working up too much friction and heat. As long as you keep it moving it shouldn't be a problem though. A buffer actually made for a car will always be the better choice. Another thing to think about is the bonnets that go on these sanders. They usually have a thick sponge under the material to protect the paint, but they also soak up waxes or whatever you use like... well... a sponge. I used an orbital buffer on my car twice and everything kept soaking into the sponge. I was halfway through the bottle of wax after waxing my car twice... If you're really that short on time, i would recommend buying an actual automotive buffer. or just use the sander hope that you're good at it...

if you want more answers I suggest going to http://www.autopia-carcare.com. The guys in the detailing forums there really know what they're talking about, and the hand vs. buffer debate has been had at length there many many many times.

I have a sears orbital polisher. I don't believe it saves any time over doing it by hand. Additionally, While the results are good, I don't think they are any better.

Keep in mind that even if you use the buffer, certain areas of the car will always have to be done by hand: heald light buckets, emblems, door handle indentation, door frames, etc.