HybridZ

what transmission do i have? i don't think it's a Z tranny

GabeRoc

I have been fighting with a transmission for about a year now, it started as a preemptive rebuild. tranny was making a bit of noise and I didn't want any trouble. I pulled it, had it rebuilt and put it back in. about 2 months later I started the car, went for reverse and the shifter moved to neutral but the transmission stayed in first gear. That sucked. So I pulled the trans back out and had them "fix" the problem. I put it back, about 2 months later.... same thing. So I pulled it out again. This time they had it for about a month, and they claimed they were very complete and careful. Moreover than just going through the transmission, they rebuilt a different core. And did that transmission even perform wonderfully, for all of 5 days. On the morning of the 5th day my transmission rested, stuck in first gear, again.

I was over it, so I took the whole car to a transmission shop that had been recommended to me and they re-rebuilt my transmission. This blazing failure lasted for 7 days. The problem, you guessed it, stuck in first gear. So I took it back, had some words with the owner, and left for a 10-day vacation. When I got back the shop told me that the transmission was defective, and they bought me a remanufactured transmission and put it in at no cost to me. Happy day. I picked the car up today and noticed that the gear ratios are all messed up. Oh, did I mention they broke my speedometer?

First gear tops out about 10 mph. I have a 280zx with a bulldog gear; I'm going to be the envy of all my friends. Second gear is basically like what first gear should be, 3rd a little shy of what second should be, 4th acts just a bit taller than what 3rd used to be, and 5th results in around 4250 rpm at 75 MPH.

Does anyone have any idea what transmission I have in this thing? It?s a 1981 280zx n/a 2+2.

Well, sorry about the length of that rant, i just needed to tell my story. Any ideas as to what tranny I have would be great.

Thanks,

gabe

i'm not sure quite what you mean. all the gears are in their proper locations, it's just that the what is second gear would be better suited as first, ect.

but assuming that's what you ment, you think this is a 200sx transmission? do they have the same case/mounts/driveshaft? the claim is that this was a fully assembled unit shiped from someone that knows what they are doing.

hoping for some clarity,

gabe

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

That is unusual. Unless it is a custom geared transmission, as a 5 speed, 4th should be 1:1 and 5th should be an overdrive as a rule. The gearing you are speaking of would not be possible unless you had like a 4.90 rear end gear ratio, very abnormal gears in the transmission, or your clutch is slipping. Did anyone ever make sure that your clutch was engaging and disengaging all of the way?