HybridZ

how fast would a 260z w/ a 280z motor be w/ dual webber carb

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

i am looking to buy a 1974 260z w/ a 240z front bumper and rear and a 77 280z engine that was converted to have dual webber carborators, but the car has a stuck ring how hard is that to fix when it is burning oil but the interior is mint and so is the body does this sound like a good buy for a V8 project that will be a long standing project

Guest 2002sentraSER

yeah i have and i have bought the manuel already thanks for the advice but would the car be quick like it is before i can afford to do the swap

• 2 months later...
Guest pvtkary

my spelling sucks. sorry. how fast your car is depends on the horsepower to weight ratio. the L6 motor is ok, but an old design. I have a few of them, at different levels of performance. if you build the F*&K out of a 2.8, the very best you can hope fore in a streetable fashion is 200HP. This puts you well below the 10 to 1 ratio that seperates the men from the boys. if you are sticking with the l6, go nitrous. If you insist on trying to modify it to the nth degree I have a tripple webber dcoe setup Id be happy to part with.

• 6 months later...

If you want to hang with the big boys, and V8 isn't your style, look into swapping in a 81-83 turbo engine from a 280zx. Bolts in. 180hp, 200ft-lbs stock. Thats a big jump from the ~150hp/150ft-lbs you'd have with a stock NA 2.8. To get 220hp/220ft-lbs from a 280zxt engine would probably cost you less than $20 more. That'll put you close to your 10:1 number.

If you want streetable, fuel economic, and good power then a turbo is probably the answer. I think Len is getting ~26mpg in a heavier 280z with this setup. You can probably expect to see 28mpg or so if you can keep your foot out of it. And therein lies the real issue...

Or just go V8. 220hp/220ft-lbs would be a piece of cake, but for a daily driver, I'd rather have the EFI/fuel economy of the turbo setup.

yes i am, with the L6 and a street car i cant see any other way to have the best of both worlds. i enjoy my carbs as much as anyone, but man this stock efi turbo setup is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my car weighs about 2750 and i do get 22-28 mpg, the higher of the two when i keep it out of boost. if you really keep your foot out of it and turn boost down, you can run 6lbs and 87 octane and retain that mpg-how do I know, cause I do. I dont like 240z, they hurt my butt, but i can see this motor in a 240 ripping me a new one with the same stuff i got on it. im not looking to beat the world-I did that with my v8z :D