HybridZ

CV Adapter Options

Stealth-Z

Does anyone have any opinions on this type of CV adapter?

axle1.jpgaxle2.jpg

They are using shafts from an R31 Skyline with a R200. My thoughts would be to machine a similar adapter to use the ZXT 6 bolt CV's.

The Modern Motorsport CV adapters require removal of the stubs. This type of setup is a straight bolt on.

This is where I found the photo's. It's on the Yahoo Japan aution site.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpage6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp%2Fjp%2Fauction%2Ff14835799

At the current exchange rate, it comes to around $150.00US.

I am new to the CV conversion process. This looked like an interesting alternative to the Modern Motorsports adapters. Most likely I'll be going with their adapters as they are proven to work.

As for binding issues, I'm not to sure about the geometry of them to call. The tanslation from th write up is not to clear.

This may be an interesting milling project for me to try.

Does anyone have any opinions on this type of CV adapter?

Sure, you go to all that work to make a bulletproof drivetrain and it comes down to that tiny 4 bolt pattern still OEM on your companion flanges when done that way. ALL the shear is depending on those 4 bolts and the tear out from that hole pattern on the companion flange. My design uses a shear pocket and that inside bolt pattern is ELIMINATED as is the tear out issue as it's made integral with the new adaptor. Companion flange removal is NOT hard, did 10 yesterday, some 5 minutes each typically if even that much. Die grinder first to just remove the hydraulically pinched portion and then a strong impact to suck the nut off. Flange should then come without too great a force, but easy enough to use a gear puller if required.

I could easily do those adaptors, but it's not near as desirable IMO from a design standpoint. Shear strength of the connection and minimizing the number of fasteners are the most obvious points IMO. It's not clear with those if you retain stub axle nut access with the adaptor in place? Or is it a two step process to remove the axle and then the adaptor to get at the nut? Mine have full access once installed to the stub nut etc.

Lastly, if I was putting that much force thru my rear drivetrain I'd sure pull my stub axles, inspect for wear/corrosion and do the bearings. Something very often ignored in buildups. You're only as strong as the weakest point you've considered or missed.

PS that japan photo didn't come up for me, if anyone else can view it and could email it me I'd appreciate it. I'm not clear if the pick posted is same one or not? Stealth Z mentions milling and that shown is a lathe setup and rotary table so I'm curious what's what.....

Thanks Ross C,

You pretty much answered my questions about the adapters. The Japanese always come up with some crazy designs. The pictures posted are the same as the link to the yahoo jp site.

Your adapters are a much better concept and design.