HybridZ

power steering conversion kit?

Guest V8_280Z

Guest V8_280Z

Anybody know of one available? A company called Sergay Automotive in Pennsylvania made a power assit bolt on a few years ago but I can't find anything on them now...thanks..ron

?

Andrew,

Try the following link for some information on using a Ford steering rack.

http://zcar.netdojo.com/steering.htm

This is Al Silvera's site. He dropped a Ford 302 into his Z and used a 95 Mustang rack for power steering. I don't know if this will work for you but at least it will give you some ideas to start. Because he installed a SBF and wasn't using the engine mouting towers they were removed but I think the rack could be pushed to the right some so the shaft would be in the same place as the stock rack.

Good luck.

Ken W.

Guest BigWhyteDude

Hey wheelman i wasnt the one asking about the P/S swap, i was just letting the guy know the search wasnt working right now. I have read that site http://zcar.netdojo.com/steering.htm from start to finish though. Definatly worth the read.

HAHAHA its seams the site has deamed it apropriate to name me a "guru", :lol: far from it.

Andrew

Guest BigWhyteDude

Hey its all good :D, by the way i have not been able to get out to my uncles in quite some time b/c of him working and me going to college. Ill see if i can get ahold of him some time tonight.

Andrew

Now this is a very well documented modification: I'm not proficient in the welding dept but other than time consuming this modification appears to be rather straight forward.

After reading http://zcar.netdojo.com/steering.htm the only thing that I would question, and again this is because I'm no welder, are the tie rod ends being cut and then rewelded.

My question to all you welders out there...is this risk free? Is it really safe to cut the tie rod ends and then reweld them? Can a home jobber really do a sufficient enough of a reweld to remove the risk of said weld ever breaking?

Any comments to confirming/removing my concerns would be most appreciative.

The reason for my concern is that if I ever do the V8 swap I will definately like to do this mod...providing that cutting and rewelding the tie rods really is a safe thing to do.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an non-power steering Inliner)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also trying to find power steering information, especially when it somes to put a chevy LT1, LS1 or LS6 engine. So if anyone remembers where to find it please let me know. So far I have searched and found very little. I have heard that people used Mustang II (like in the Mid 70's) as a conversion and also an Isuzu Impulse. From what I heard is that these bolt on fairly wheel and only require some minor modifications such as the tie rod ends. But I am still looking for the information on these and I am hoping someone else recalls this and where to find it. If I find it I will send it in hear. Any help or suggestions is welcome.

Thank you

Robert