HybridZ

pcv valve vs vent?

I have aluminum valve covers with no baffles. My car will suck oil thru the pcv valve vent tube and into the intake...and blow it out the tailpipe :( . Can I just run a little breather on each valve cover and not use the pcv to intake rig? I don't understand the purpose of recycling that vented crankcase pressure back to the intake. Please help.

Desperately seeking knowledge

You can just vent, and that works ok. The idea is to use the intake to suck the pressure out of the crankcase, which would free up a few hp and makes life easier on seals. Unfortunately, the stock setup puts the oily crap into the intake, which I would think would lose you a few hp.

Jon

I'm having the same trouble despite having vent baffles and only running breathers. On the passenger side breather(I don't have a pcv valve) - it likes to spit oil on my headers, which it would probably do in your case too. I was thinking about putting the oil filler plug on the passenger side and running only 1 breather on the driver's side, basically reversing the usual setup. Any problems doing it this way? I haven't done it yet and am curious what others think about only running 1 breather on a 400hp 327.

A Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve is a good thing to have. One of the reasons that the oil change mileage has been extended out over the years is due to the PCV. A lot of nasty stuff (moisture, acid, etc.) gets past the rings and is picked up by the oil. The PCV valve helps to insure that it gets routed out of the engine. It should be set up so that the incoming air is filtered and then circulated through the entire engine. On a V8 that the recommended method would be having the air enter through the valve cover on one side and exit out through the opposite valve cover and into the intake manifold.

Unless the engine is burning oil, very little of anything should be deposited in the intake manifold.

BTW, I have seen (Summit maybe) valve cover rubber grommets that have a baffle built in them.

Now the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) is a whole different story - bad, bad, bad! :evil: