HybridZ

how to fuel a 240z with l28et?

Guest alfman240z

Guest alfman240z

i know theres womething i have to do about fueling my 240z with a l28et engine in it cause the 240z's were carbed... i know i can get a 75-76 gas tank but what about using a sump tank (suggested from zcar.com). who do i install this...?

competition engineering fuel tank sump kit...

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=sump+tank

A '75/'76 280Z tank is NOT a direct bolt in if you have a 240Z. The 240 tank straps are too short, the fuel neck is too small as are some of the vent hoses, and the sending unit doesn't have the necessary travel for the larger tank. I know because I have a 280 tank in my '73 Z. And after all the effort to get it in, it still sucks air on hard corners when the tank level gets near a 1/4 tank. The only extra baffling in the tank is a cylinder about the size of a pop can around the pickup. If I were doing it again, I'd have gone with a sump.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Intank with a factory style sump is the beat my far. I used a Toyota supra sump and intank pump set up in my 73' tank. 255lph pumps are cheaper also, $85. There's a few pics of it on my link. Easy to do. Just rinse it out with water then dry it good, I used a shop vac, the pressure tested it with the same shop vac and soapy water.

If you add a surge tank, and an additional low pressure "lift" pump to keep it full, you will never have any starvation problems.

Here is an idea which I've been pondering:

What if you use a modified steel 240Z expansion tank as a surge tank? With a little wedling, I would think you could convert one to a surge tank. I've been thinking about doing this for a while. If I get to it this winter, I'll post some picks, and insturctions. I don't have an expansion tank in my car now, just some fittings connecting all the hoses together.

Right now below 1/4 tank on my 240Z, I have a fuel starvation problem doing hard left turns.

Pete