HybridZ

I need advise...

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

I had a very unfortunate incident last Friday. I was driving a company vehicle. I approached an intersection that was covered in snow and ice. I was going to stop at the stop sign (2 way only) and slid right into the intersection and struck another vehicle. Both vehicles are probably totaled. But luckily no serious injuries. The state trooper said I may be cited for unsafe speed and/or failure to stop at the sign. I had taken pictures at the scene, company policy. Made doubles for myself, thinking that the pics of ice and snow are my only defense. But could somebody tell me the amount of points this would be if I were found guilty. And is it possible to plead guilty to a non-traffic violation that had a similiar amount of payment. Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Frank

I can tell you this: don't plead guilty to anything thinking you're doing yourself a favor.

My wife was involved in an accident where she was driving up our street and a Hummer backed up into the road and hit her in her Sentra. There was a tree right at the corner of the driveway, so neither one of them could see the other.

The other driver tried to convince the judge in court that my wife was partially responsible by saying she was speeding (BS--she drives like a SNAIL). Since he had previously admitted that he was at fault for failing to yield, the judge refused to even listen to his argument that she was partially at fault, which in this case was a good thing.

I don't know if ice is a defense for failing to stop, but I wouldn't go out of my way to say that the accident was my fault.

Jon

In any situation, the person backing up has the greatest responsibility in the eyes of the law, as your view is never as good as driving and turning.

Some states actually have a law saying you are not to back out onto a street.

People backing up into a street do not have the right of way, it is their resposibility in backing up to not hit anything or anyone.

Guest V8wannabe

I doubt the ice/snow defense will work, the law's response will probably be "you should have adjusted your driving to allow for the road conditions, and allowed more time/distance to come to a stop". Good luck, but I think your fighting an uphill battle.