HybridZ

ELEVATOR LEVEL OFF OF ACCEL W. TURBO/IC

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I've an 83 280ZXT which has a NPR I/C, Greddy Profec B boost controller and turbo boost (timer) which reads in metric.

Of late, when I merge onto highway roads doing between 35 and 69 in third gear, being into and above 3,000rpm, I have noticed that the feeling of seat in the pants torque and the speedo numbers advance kind of level off once I am in max boost mode (indicated 9.0kg=13.5psi est.)..what follows is steady accelleration, but it is by no means neck-snapping, and seems also to be limited by the boost controller. I am only using the "low boost" setting, so that may be a part of it, but, being that I'm not using a 24psi max beastmobile some Z I/C setups are rated at, I'm wondering if this is what I SHOULD accept, given that my bhp numbers probably aren't much more than 220-230SAE?

It ends up feeling like an elevator/electric kind of acceleration until I switch into fourth gear for hwy. cruising, which I find kind of disconcerting. It also makes me wonder if this is why people put so much money into the beefed up injectors and AFM I've dreamt about (e.g JWT equip.)? So, tell me somebody, would adding these "upper rev range" parts to my set up make the car feel like it will keep building torque as I stay in gear (rather than sort of staying linear?)? I would expect the 300bhp target mark is what I'm after, sort of an M3 BMW type of continual sling shot, but of late, my turbo feels like a sling shot projectile which then hits the water!

Thanks for opinions?!

John

What turbo are you running? It sounds like your turbo is running out of it's efficiency range maybe. You can see my dyno chart in the HybridZ personal gallery - my torque peaks early and falls off; power is steady with rpm. I am running a stock turbine; if you are running a stock turbo, I would expect it to run out at a high boost level, pumping hot air. You might have boost, but it may not be very dense.