HybridZ

R200 LSD without finned cover?

PETEW

I know that many people when switching to an R200 LSD rear diff they would just put on the R200 open cover on. I was wondering if any one had any problems, or forsee any with doing this. I went through a ton of pages (since search only looks at this years posts)and looked to see if anyone said if there was a problem doing this. It would be the easiest way to do it on my '77Z, and seems to make sense. I know nissan put in the extra capacity and finned cover for cooling effect, but does the LSD really generate that much more heat? Thanks for the help guys.

Wow, after 4 years doesn't sound like you should bother. I would guess that if it has worked that long it should be OK. I would love to keep the finned cover but that means fabricating a mount which I'm not sure I could do. It is kind of important part :roll: . I know I can get someone else to make one, but just don't want to spend the money right now. Thanks for the help.

Well I went out on the track with slicks and a stock oil pan for 3 years, then one day my ex-roommate blew his engine in the long sweeper at Buttonwillow on his 3rd lap of the day. I upgraded my oilpan despite never having had a problem before. To me it is just extra insurance, and since I like driving my car a lot more than fixing it, I'm gonna do it. :D Plus the more worn the LSD is the more it will slip, the more heat it will generate.

Jon