HybridZ

maxima flywheel

Guest ON3GO

anybody know where i can get one.....

i know they are from the 7/78 to 6/84 production date

Maxima's coming in at a light 17.6 lb.

I know the part number.... 12310-Y7000. search of the lighter flywheel.

it is identified by the "Y70" casted on the back of the flywheel...

i know you can get them new ( i hope ) but i was hoping if somebody had one used for a good price as i might be looking for one very soon.

thanks

mike

• 1 month later...

ON3GO,

I got turned on to this "lightweight flywheel by a thread on another site. I later found one, a Y70 Flywheel from a 1984 Maxima, but it weighs 20 lbs. This was on a verified scale.

We batted it around (on the thread) and basically decided it was better than a 240 -280 (E-30 casting number at 24 lbs)

It could be another quirk, like the hard to find Maxima Disk Brake Brackets (this car was welded!)

ecp48

J. Soileau 74260zt

What year was it off of? I'm beginning to think that the assembly line workers did some of this to raise questions 20 to 30 years in the future! There does not seem to be any reason for the various quirks.

Looking at the brake brackets, I had originally thought they would be the same, just welded on, but they are not. The welded bracket is tapped for small retaining machine screws, but the dust shiled is sized for the 10MM bolts. I'M OFF THREAD, but the flywheel weight seems to be more of the same.

ecp48

J. Soileau 74260z

Even so, there is a discrepancy of 17 to 18 lbs. on the low side and 20 on the high side.

No apologies necessary. Just another one of those very nebulous areas, which keep things interesting.

Ed Palmer/ecp48

I thought ALL L series were internally balanced...

Seem to remember the stock 510 flywheels were very heavy, something like ~30 lbs. Someone explained it to me as a way to make up for the lack of torque. Not sure about the 6 bolt ones, probably the same thing the Z comes with. That's all hearsay, and relates to 5 bolt flywheels, but that's what I seem to remember.