HybridZ

"Tornado"....Anybody use it?..does it work??

Guest Night_rider_383

Guest Night_rider_383

A few nights ago I was watching a 30 min. info on T.V. where they was trying to sell these things you put inside your air cleaner called "Tornado". I heard of them before this but never gave no thought to them, because most stuff like this is just junk to get your money. Well after watching this, and thinking about it they seem to have a good idea. My question is has anybody on here ever tried one in real life. The concept and theory of the "Tornado" seems good, but in reality will it increase gas mileage and horepower like they say?

Thanks,

John

THINK ABOUT IT! everything you do to an engine to increase its efficiency adds to or increases the rate at which air enters the engine, mixes with the fuel and burns produceing more power. the engines power depends almost totally on how fast and how effectively you burn that fuel air mix and the more properly mixed fuel/air mix you can get into and out of the cylinders per second the more power you can make!

the IDEA behind the TORNADO is to swirl the airflow causeing turbulance and slowing the total airflow into the engine, sure in some cars the air intake design is so restrictive that some added turbulance might help but in almost every case just removeing the air filter or changing to a less restrictive duct work system would help much more! that TORNADO IS A TOTAL SCAM :mad: like the magnets on fuel lines that IONIZE your fuel :rolleyes: or the carbon resistor that snaps on your distributor terminals that smooths your idle and increases :rolleyes: mileage. don,t you think that if G.M. could add ten hp to every engine for about $5 (actual cost to make) by adding a swirl enhancer to the intake they would not do it! after all a 10hp gain with no moving parts and no emission increase would be worth millions to G.M., CAN YOU SAY SCAM. twak.gif SCAM. twak.gif SCAM twak.gif

Guest Beefcake

this is for grumpyvette who said gm would add that to all of the cars if it add 10 horses. doesnt the new z06 have a "vortec" intake which does the same as the tornado?

but i have read a lot of grumpyvette's post so im most likly wrong hail.gif

Guest Anonymous

Way back when, the fad "bolt-on" performance improver was actually a piece of window screening, cup shaped to clear the throttle plates, sandwiched between two carb base gaskets. The theory was that the wire mesh "atomized" the fuel mixture and increased vacuum. Uh huh...yeah...right. The only real benefit was that if you accidentally dropped a "foreign object" down the carb, it wouldn't disappear down the intake manifold.

acually i made a screen thingie with carb gasketes..i wanted to see if those intake gasket screen thigies really worked...the idea was to atomize air/fuel mixture...it worked i felt a noticeable difference around town and highway also part throttle....but it hampered full throttle so i threw it away.

Guest Anonymous

These things have been around forever in one shape or form. If you consider what happens even if there is some sort of swirl effect, once it hits the venturi area of a carb, or a throttlebody I'm sure it would change directions and if anyone expects it to keep swirling right down to the intake valve, well that would be presumptuous at best. :D

As Grumpy said, if GM or the big three aren't doing it, the chances are it isn't worth the plastic or metal its made of. There are a few examples outside of this of course, like K and N filters and stuff, the big three do what they do under the hand of a committee and if it isn't cheap and isn't needed it doesnt make it to production. The finished package is one of performance and economy, a tough juggling act, but they do a reasonably good job.

So, automotive snake oil is just as much a scam as it was in traveling side shows and things in advertising havnt changed much, its a matter of the hook, the sell and then get out of dodge. :D

Regards,

Lone