HybridZ

Track results from rear end and ratio change

Guest 73TPIZ

I've had the solid 8.8" in for a few weeks now and finally got to the track today. My stock setup had 3.70 gears and the explorer rear i bought had 3.73's in it but i wanted to go up a gear so i had 3.27's put in. i was worried about that decision but since my TPI is more torque than HP i figured it'd be ok.

Well, she wasn't hooking today since i still need some slicks (hopefully before SEZS). My avg times with the stock rear when not hooking (2.1-2.2 60fts) is 13.1's @ ~102mph and my avgs when hooking is 12.80's at ~104mph. Today my 60ft avg was 2.1's. ET right at 13.1 (best of 13.000 :bonk: ). MPH was up to 105's (best of 106.08 ).

What this long post means in a nutshell is 'Daddy needs some DR's' :D:D

mas280, my IRS always seemed loose to me. 3 (used) R200 hoghead changes, and 2 (used) axle sets and i still had a clunk from any direction change (P,R,D) and a rattle at speed when let off gas (misadjusted R&P on all 3 center sections?). Plus, even though i had poly bushings in it i could watch the rear wheels (not tires, wheels) toe in and out 1/4" when going from reverse to drive or park to either. i'm not a big IRS person so i got frustrated and since this is cruiser/ weekend drag only (not road courser) i opted for solid. Plus easy to get posi for.

Zfan, yea 50's today and breezy so track temp was cold i'm sure. that, and the fact the tires that came with my draglites are as hard as my dress shoe soles. :roll:

Hey Don,

It's from a '92 ford Explorer that i had shortened 7" on the driver's side. The center is offset to the right originally so it's not as drastic as it sounds. That made plenty of room for the torque arm i'm running along the right of the driveshaft. If i had to do over, i'd shorten it 6" left and 1" right as the driveshaft is at max angle (~2" offset on ~28"shaft), but no vibrations that i can tell. Homemade triangulated swing arms to eliminate the need for a track (panhard bar). Haven't noticed any side to side movement yet but time will tell. The coil springs are right where the mustache bar mounted and i ran the shocks up in the orig strut towers. I mini-tubbed mine 1" ea side (265-50's on 15x8's), but left the towers in and now with the carpet on the wheelwells and towers it looks totally stock from above. i'd love to say it'll be a sleeper but w/ draglites, subtle Z cowl hood, and those big a$$ double stripes (someday), it probably won't be :wink: .

i have some pics in my gallery. i'll get around to uploading some more soon. take care