HybridZ

cutting holes in a Carbon Fiber hood for vents?

Guest ON3GO

ON3GO - Listen to Z-TARD, and I quote:

"I'd suggest using a roto zip style cutter, since it would be less likely to leave a rough edge on the carbon fiber after cutting. Lay some masking tape over the area and mark the lines you want to cut on the tape. The tape will protect the rest of your hood from scratches as you drag the roto zip over it, and to some degree will help prevent the carbon fiber from fraying as you cut. Sand the edges of the hole with some 300 grit sandpaper, and then seal the edges with some CA (Super Glue) Sealing the edges will prevent it from delaminating later on. Hope this helps a little."

We cut up carbon fiber for our R/C car chassis all the time this way, (including the use of super glue). Do NOT use a saw of any kind because it will rip up and fray the fibers and you will have a real mess on your hands.

ON3GO,

Since your wanting to view the Carbon Fiber weave,it would be the best end result to have the duct jamb or surround monting frame to be moulded as a seperate part and THEN bonded to the backside of your hood.

But REMEMBER :!: , the point in the hood that you decide to cut the hole needs to match the curve in the DUCT or as close as possible so you don't end up with some unattractive waviness. :x

Once you have made the mounting frame you can test fit the backside of the hood before you cut the hole and find a good resting spot for the Duct.And YES,continue to use masking tape to mark your areas and be able to make marks for cutting.( I use a cut-off wheel on a DIE grinder,slowly sink or plunge into the Carbon.

You'll actually put the Epoxy resin on the DUCT frame and put against the hole with the Hood upside down (sawhorses etc.) Lay plastic sheet strips on the WET resin and place slightly heavy items along the curing resin.

When your ready to see how it fits and looks,flip the hood over and see how well you did on picking the location ! :lol:

.......................Vince

I realize that this thread is specific to CF hoods; but, I've been planning on sourcing a JY ZXT NACA Duct and installing it on my OE 240Z hood. I bought a pneumatic flanging tool to make a 'tray' or lip for the duct/grill to lie in to avoid the piece laying ABOVE the hood. Hadn't given much thought to curvature, I just assumed that I would move it forward and backward to the best location. I remember reading somewhere on the site that an 'inlet' should really be placed forward of engine mid-point (?). I so fell in love with an orange Z someone has on their signature, and Dan Juday has pics of. It is THE perfect look that I'm trying to achieve. Don't think I have the "Benjamin's" for the CF or FG....wish I did. I suppose I will appreciate my hood more with alot of sweat, swearing and inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing anyone's pics :P

240Z2NV, ..Go ahead and use your plan,its a good one ,I use the Pnuematic Flanger all the time in mock-up !

Since you plan to LAY the duct in, First turn your hood up,so you can lay the duct (top of duct ) against the inner hood and do as you thought,move it to the sweet spot. I will warn you ; once you cut the HOLE in the hood ,there is a lot of TENSION that goes awry and the flange tool will be fighting this !

So do plan on some good Floating body work afterwards to make it look right !

Good luck,your gonna' love it .

:-D ...........Vince

• 4 years later...
hey guys me and my dumb friend V8dats were talking.. i brought up how i want those 280ZX turbo hood vents on my Z but im getting a carbon fiber hood for my Z. how easy would it be for me to cut the holes in the hood to place the vents? and if i were to do this how would i make those vents hold in place?

if i cant do this then what kind of shop can? im guessing a good body shop can.

thanks

mike

Check this out. I did exactly that to my CF hood...

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Entries/2007/2/22_The_Fender_Flares_and_Wheels.html