HybridZ

WHAT DIFF DO I HAVE????

Corzette

Heres the deal. I have an R200 3.54 diff. It is apparently an LSD by the below pic. As you can see it is posi. This diff came with the car and I got the CV conversion done using the 280ZX shafts. How can this be? I thought that only the 300ZX 3.70 diff was LSD....Anyone care to explain this to me? :? Tim u out there?

CZ

Scroll down and read the post "One Legger.... or?"

This might give you some insight... Is your Z an automatic? Looks like this was a brakestand by the little piles of scattered rubber preceding the burnout. I know that if you're stopped and suddenly apply enough power to break traction, it'll lay two stripes. If you're moving and have enough power to break a wheel it'll break just one and "one-leg it".

Anyone want to correct me on any points here?

If both wheels have equal traction, then both will react the same way. Try that with one wheel on loose gravel or dirt, or wet one side of the road and you will see the difference. Or, just pull the rear cover off the diff.

Tim

Thanks guys....one note to add, when I had my 3.90 diff on it would only take off spinning from one side, no slide from the back end. This diff always spins both tires on take off and slides the back end during lane changes if I punch it....Im happy as can be though :D

CZ

It's your IRS that's doing it. In a straight line when enough torque is applied to the rearend to break traction the twist of the driveshaft is transfered to the case of the differential due to the resistance of the weight of the car and the stopped wheels. Essentially, as the pinion gear pushes to turn the stopped ring gear it tries to climb the ring gear. This "climbing" force twists the entire housing.

If you have a live axle this twist means that one wheel is mashed into the pavement and the other is lifted (unweighted actually). The unweighted wheel obviously has less traction and spins while the other gets great traction but the torque is now all waisted on the spinning wheel.

With an IRS, like our Z cars have, the differential still twists but since the wheels are connected with jointed half shafts the weight on the wheels remains equal. Hence, two black stripes.

Now, throw the car into a curner and tromp on it and other forces will upset that equalibrium.