HybridZ

Fairlady parts

Guest Anubis

Ok i'm new to the Z family so I've gotta a question thats been racking my mind. I've seen pictures of the Fairlady Z's and I noted the mirrors and the dash and i the fenders I think also.

But what other parts make the Fairlady differ from the US Z?

I'm intrested in sourcing Fairlady equipment to give the feel and look of a true fairlady.

I know where to get the mirrors but i've never seen a Fairlady with the mesh grill that i've heard about. So what do you guys think?

Teh differences in FairladyZ and US-Spec Vehicles can be fairly easy to spot. Othertimes not.

For instance, on S30's on of the quirky JDM requirements is that FLARES are kept in the vehicle. On the passenger's kickpanel, under the dashboard, there are two black clips for Nissan-Flares in little red plastic tubes.

Of course the dash is RHD, and on a standard Fairlady Z, you will have an L20A six cylinder. Only the Fairlady 240Z had the L24. After that, until the advent of the ZX, all FairladyZ's had the 2-litre motor.

A ZS model will have less jute and sound deadening (also may have no clock, or radio with bitchin' blanking plugs instead...) and will have plastic mats throughout the vehicle except fo the diamond vinyl on the tranny tunnel.

The doors have none of the reinforcement that started in 73 in the USA, and starting in 76, the Fairlady Z-L (Luxury) was available from the factory with POWER WINDOWS!

In-Dash Air Conditioning was available from day one with the Fairlady Z, unlike the Us spec vehicle which had to wait until 74 to get a Factory in-dash cooler...

The Hood Emblem, Horn Emblem and Quarter Pillar Emblem are all simple "Z". No "Datsun" anywhere on the vehicle.

On later S30's they had the "NAPS" on the left corner of the hatch which stood for "Nissan Anti Pollution System" and they had catalytic converters starting in 76---and actually had CLEANER emissions standards than California in those years, all the way through 81.

A 79 Fairlady ZX (or 78 for that matter) will have an O2 sensor in the exhaust whereas US market vehicles didn't have them until later.

Also, an interesting quirk on the S130 ZX style Fairladys was the two-barrel throttle body. The primary throttle was about the size of a dime, and you ran on that up to about 3000 3500rpm, with a progressive linkage. This was GREAT for fuel economy, and whn you tripped the second barrel, it opened WIDE for power. Interesting. Though kind of upsetting when you are used to a bigger throttle body (60mm SX style! :lol: ). The ZX cars also had a stepper-motor idle control with no cold start injector and different control of the EFI.

There was no 280ZXT there, only an L20ET for the turbo. It was popular in 89 when the laws changed to swap L20ET's into L28N/A cars to get the tax breaks inherent in the 2-litre tax class in Japan.

The ZX's had odd options, and interior colours not available here in the USA.

There were five-speed available from day one in all models, and LSD was an option in the same time frame.

None of them had rear clearance markers on the quarterpanels.

The signal lights in the front and rear were amber instead of red like US models, and there was a switch on the console to allow you to illuminate parking lights (spearate cirtcuit) on either the left, right, or both sides of the car, without having the light switch on at all.

This is a quick overview of the differences. There are more subtle stuff but it's late, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed now! :lol:

All hail me, sharkie the magnificient, spouter of innane and usless information!

All bow and give praise and hommage to Spouter the Great!

:lol:

It's easy to remember all this crap if you have one of each of the models in question....LHD and RHD that is. 71, 75, and 78. S30, GS31, and S130.