HybridZ

Yokohama AO32r's

The A032r comes in both a 225/50-16 and a 225/55-16 - both of which I think will fit my car. The really neat thing is how square the tire is. 8.9" wide at widest and 8.3" wide tread. The 225/50-16 Yokohama S-306's I have on the car now are 9.2" wide at widest and 7.9" wide at tread. four tenths of an inch more tread width for the A032 and two tenths narrower which means they probably won't scrape my fender well lip like the 306's do.

Two questions:

1) For those of you that have them - are they worth the extra money over a Kumho, are they going to hook up a lot better than my 306's?

2) Pro's & con's of the 50 vs 55 aspect ratio. I think I would like the 55 for the larger tire diameter which should result in a bigger footprint and slightly taller gearing but I'm concerned about cornering ability vs the 50.

They're a VERY darty tire on uneven pavement, you can easily do a lane change (not kidding) if you're driving on rutted pavement. They're also very noisy/like a low flying aircraft........I kept looking for a plane at first....

Pros- great street/track treadlife and very progressive traction (ie. they don't snap loose with zero notice). A rather old tire design by now but suits some, I still have my set with majority of tread left.

Thanks Ross.

Since this car is going to get driven to work a lot the noise and dartiness are not two things i really wanted to hear - but needed to hear. I guess I'll keep looking for a while. I noticed the Michelin Sport had pretty much equivalent performance but was rated as being a lot quieter on Tire Rack. I'll look at them a bit harder too.

Worst thing I ever did was to sell my Toyo Proxes. For the type( street legal) a bit darty on the road but not too bad, they all seem to dart a bit, quiet.

For the track, they perform much better when they have worn down to at least half. Nice predictable grip, quite a soft tyre but will last well providing they are run in properly, thats important. Can take a fair bit of heat if you get that kind of weather.