HybridZ

Newbie here, want a 350 240z!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone. I'm new here. I own a 72 240z with a currently stock engine. I want to put a 350 in it this winter. I'm just looking for the information on how to go about putting it in. I'm going to build my own engine. I heard a place called JTR or something sells the mounts I need. What else needs to be done to the car to make this work? Do I use a stock trans or what? I want to keep the car a 5spd if possible. How much are the mounts going to cost me? How much will the entire project cost (not including building my engine)?

I'm sure questions like these have been asked a million times, but I'm sure someone can give me a good starting point to look for answers. Thanks!

well the search option is an awesome tool when you are new. The JTR kit though sells for around $300 I think...thats what I have seen it for on ebay anyway. You cant use the stock tranny, you will have to go with a T5 if you want a 5 speed. And the how much will this cost me is really subjective. Are you going to install is yourself? Are you getting a junkyard engine or a crate engine...a junk yard engine can be had for about $300 but crate engines can cost up above $8000. It seems the basics can be done for around $2000 if you are a smart buyer. Anyway use that search tool and read everything you can find....you will need to do lots of reading to get properly informed before you begin.

Guest Anonymous

I'm going to keep the initial install under $1000, including engine building. I plan on doing everything myself. My friend is getting me a 350 as we speak, for under $100 and I'm going to completly rebuild it before dropping it in. Just going with a basic street performance rebuild kit and I'v got all machine shop work for a high discount (same friends father owns the NAPA store) smile.gif so I'm good to go there. Anything specific about which year or anything with the tranny do I need to look for? Any specific tail shaft lenght or anything? Thanks

Depends on the kind of tranny you want. A 700R4 is a great choice for an automatic and a 'World Class" T5 is a good choice for a stick. Both are cost effective options if you are running under say 400 HP. The JTR manual explains most of this and is a great way to start, plan, and cover your conversion progress.

My biggest advice is this: buy the JTR book and BUDGET what you are doing. You can always upgrade components later, after you work the bugs out of your conversion, assuming it has any. This forum will be your greatest resource after the JTR book. The search function seems to work only intermittently lately, but hopefully it will be working just fine again soon.

Welcome and good luck.

Davy