HybridZ

Linear Spring Question Concerning Current Tires/Wheels

Guest acdatz

Hi All, I just bought a 78 280z(my first) and have already had alot of my Q,s answered here, so thanks. I plan to do a stagged type of restoration on the car with my end result being a good handling, good looking V8Z. The first thing I'm going to tackle is the suspension and brakes and am leaning towards linear springs with a 1" drop. I want to know if my current tires 205/65/15 on what I believe are 280zx turbo snowflake rims, will fit under the car with the drop springs. I'm asking this because the tires look already to be sitting pretty close to the inner fender lips. Thanks

The profile of the tire is the issue.

You should be running a 50 series to insure clearance. However, My recommendation is to do a search for tire availability... You will find that tire selection in the 15 inch tire size is quickly going away in most of the Z/W/Y series tires... I'd consider an upgrade in rim size in your future plans for that reaosn alone... Even V rates tires are becoming difficult to source for 15s...

Mike

Thanks for the reply, but I still dont know if my current tires and wheels will fit with a set of linear drop springs. I know/plan to get a lower profile tire in the future but was hoping to get by with what I have now. Thanks

My 75 has zx rims and 215/60/15 tires on it with TMC lowering springa and have no problems.

I'd be willing to bet his springs are tired and sag.

205/65/15 and 225/60/15 ~same diameter depending on whose tire.

Width definitely less w/205.

Check out this link:

http://zccw.org/Tech/Wheels/WheelSize.html

I know he was talking an early model and not a ZX, just threw that info in - kind of wondered why he had 65 series tires...

Well maybe it was me who had tired springs... That is what this board is good for, comparing experiences... thanks brad.

My car rubbed like crazy with a set of traction master springs and 215-65-15s on the swastiker rims... Forced a tire upgrade long before I was ready... that was back in the early 90s and the car was an ealry 74 260Z.

Another point you are correct about: Tire size within the same brand can be off... go mixing and matching and you see HUGE variations..

mike :D

Thanks for the replies and the link Brad. I guess I'll have to try it and see. What's the worst that could happen? I'd have to buy new low profile tires sooner than expected. :-D