HybridZ

JTR kit for LT1 or LS1?

Guest qwikrex

Guest qwikrex

I'm sure the question has been asked a million times, but I can't find it, so I'm gonna ask again.

I just got the JTR manual for the swap and it looks like they want you to buy their EFI manual to know anything about the LT1 or LS1's.

From what I've read here, an LT1 will work *fine* with the JTR mounts? But an LS1 won't?

In a "perfect" world I'd like to do the LS1 and an auto trans, but I don't know if a kit exists for that to just "mount up".

Anyone here actually purchased the JTR EFI manual? I'm tempted to, hoping that it'll have details pertaining to the Z swap, but I'm afraid it won't. Thus far, information I've found here has been more useful than what I've read in the JTR manual. :wink:

One last question, that is SUPER newbie! What is the 2+2 body? How does it differ from a "standard" body'd Z? I keep hearing it referred to, but I'm drawing a blank on the differences.

Thanks in advance!

I have both JTR manuals and no, the EFI does not pertain to the Z at all.

I personally would not get the manual knowing this.

It does point out hoses and ducting and pointers on transmissions and the speedo, but you can get that anywhere and peruse cars at the junkyard for ducting.

JTR will work w/LT1.

John's Cars has a kit for the LS1.

Others have fabricated their own mounts for the LS1:

http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104/index.html

Guest qwikrex

Thanks Brad, and JKD!

Looks like I'll go with the LT1, just cause I'm not quite ready for the commitment of the LS1. :wink:

One question, which I *should* be able to find elsewhere, but haven't been able to. Are the LT1's iron block/aluminum head? Or are they all aluminum?

I actually like the idea of an iron block, or at least iron sleeves, since my *dream* is to boost the motor somewhere down the road.

Thanks again for the feedback!

F-body LT1 is iron block aluminum head 350

B-Body had 2 V8's: LT1 and the L99

L99 is a smaller bore motor (265 ci, 4.3 L)

B-Body LT1 has iron block and iron heads and a slighty different camshaft.

If you go looking for a B-body LT1, double check it because it could be the L99. They look very similar on the outside.

FWIW - THe LS1 is aluminum block with sleeves and aluminum heads. Actually lighter than the L28. Saw an LS1 with T56 for sale a while back for $1700. Look around a bit before you make the final decision. Johns Cars does supply all the coomponents you would need for an LS1 4L60E conversion but not a manual. If you are a good mechanic then you can probably figure it out along with some help from the forum. There are getting to be several LS1 Z's out there now.