HybridZ

LS1 Horsepower

I came across a very interesting article in Street Rod Builder Magazine (Feb 2004) and I wanted to pass it along. Without going into a ton of details here, the author of the article took a GM LS1 street rod crate engine and ran it on a dyno and the results were pretty amazing – 376 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque.:bonk: The article said, “Credit the open exhaust and lack of accessories for some of the power, but we suspect the LS1 Camaro engine was still underrated by GM.†WOW. For all you LS1 guys I highly recommend picking up this magazine and reading the article. There is another very interesting article on how to build a custom exhaust system – very informative and tons of color pictures on how to do the work.

Danno74Z

Add Accessories, intake & exhaust and it hauls it down to arond 325 RWHP & 340 RWTQ. If Hot Rod just dyno'd the engine itself then 376 HP sounds about right for a flywheeel HP. Mine has a very restrictive exhaust and, with accessories, it is running about 365 HP at the flywheel.

Internals of the engine have not been touched. It is from a '98 Camaro Z28. The ECM has been "tweaked" by http://www.chipsbyal.com; it has a K&N filter on a very short lead from behind the radiator (see photo in my album) and a set of Sanderson custom block hugger headers that have 1 1/2" primaries into 2 1/2" collectors that 'Y' into a single 2 1/2" pipe behind the transmission and out through a single 2 1/2" muffler. No other modifications to the intake, heads, etc. Car dyno'd at 311 RWHP & 326 RWTQ. I would expect numbers to go up by about 10 each when I open up the exhaust, but 311 RWHP maths out to 366 flywheel HP assuming a 15% loss in the drivetrain.