HybridZ

HVLP Spray Guns

Two40MuscleZ

Has anyone used or familiar with the newer type of higher end Automotive HVLP guns? I am looking at purchasing two guns...one for primer application(s) and a second for top coat finishes. Have always used the "Old School" quart pot type; but, it's time to upgrade! RacerX...if you run across this post maybe you can advise on the new technology. Thanks VAN

I was close to buying a gun last week, and did a lot of looking and asking.

Don't even waste your time with the qt cup gun. I have read and been told over and over the HVLP are way better. the best part is you will save a lot of paint and have a lot less mess with the over spray. So if buy exspensive paint the difference in cost could be saved in paint.

As for which one I want a name brand that I will be able to get parts for.

Sharpe and Devilbiss both make a good gun for about $160.

So a friend lent me his new cheapy cup gun, I only needed to paint the transmission, a/c, alt....

I will not use it to paint the body....

Guest Dan0myte

Just remember you need to have the compressor to back it up. A standard high pressure paint gun may take 10 CFM @ 90 psi, whereas an HVLP gun may required the same CFM, but at 30 psi instead. It takes an expensive compressor to pump that much air at that low pressure.

RacerX: As always your information is invaluable. I appreciate the tip information as that definately narrows things down to a fine science. I am anxious to use the gravity fed system, as I am only familiar with the old siphon feed guns. When the first HVLPs' came out I did a few trial passes, and the fan spray seemed a bit gritty as I was laying it down. The material had been pre-mixed by the sales person, so I had no control over that. However, if I practice a bit and mess with the settings I am certain that it will all come together. Thanks again for the information. Look forward to meeting you the next time I am in the Bay Area. DC was an old stomping ground in my younger years. Every Fri and Sat night from the top of Mission St on the ECR. down through So. City and all the way to SJ. Street racing and crusing for chicks...now that was a cruise!

That doesn't happen very much anymore I would imagine.

Compliments,

VAN

Thanks Tim, thats really nice of you. If you wouldn't mind bringing it so I could look at it and ask you a few questions, that would be great. I think my oldest will be coming with me to JCs'. Looking forward to seeing everyone, and planning for the MSA event. BTW, any word from MSA about HybridZs' plans on attending in mass? Boy are they in for a big surprise this year! :malebitchslap: LOL Thanks again Tim.

All the best,

VAN

Has anyone had any experience with the hvlp guns that are sold with special compressors ?These (turbine) units are supposed to warm and dry the air giving a better finish. I have seen them offered in the Eastwood and several other catalogs,I believe Grace was the manufacturer.

Thanks, Tom

RacerX,

Great information on the Advantage, maybe I'll look into one. I already have a Sharpe with a 1.3 cap that I could dedicate to clearcoating. Thanks again for your help last year in my "clear blending" project:D .

Van,

The Harbor Freight HVLP gun is great for high solid primers and such. Plus they're like $45!!! I like to use cup liners as well, a lot easier to clean up, especially when you have one gun. (like RacerX said, get at least one for primer and one for color/clear).

Owen

Guest 007fastZ

I couple of years ago my dad and i bought a HVLP gun with the turbine compressor from cambell hausfeld that we use for woodworking. No when i was talking to the rep i think he said that you wouldnt want to use it for automotive, Could this be the type of gun i have or what? If i can use it for metal then that would be great.

Thanks for the help

Chris

Hey Chris,

If the rep told you it shouldn't be used, then I wouldn't use it. Most likely it's got a bigger tip and doesn't put out the right air pressure at the tip for spraying auto paints (I don't know how thick wood/house paints are). It seems to me like it'd just splatter rather than atomize like you'd want it to for metal.

Owen