HybridZ

Questions regarding R200 lsd

2Forty

I just picked up an R200 3.7 lsd. Should I use the turbo cv half-shafts or stick with the stock 240? Also, what gear lube is needed for the lsd?

I have most of the parts to complete the swap but got sidetracked when I picked up a clean 73. Will the madness ever end?

RossC has an adapter for those CV's I think if you have the $$$ for them. If you don't run the CV's you'll need some side output flanges from a 280Z or ZX with an R200, and you'll definitely need the pinion flange or yoke from a Z or ZX with R200 to bolt up to the driveshaft.

Use regular gear oil with an LSD additive, or better gear oil without the additive like SWEPCO or Redline or something like that. I use SWEPCO. Works great.

Jon

if you're going to the trouble of putting in the LSD diff i think you should invest in a set of 280z stub axles and a set of CV adapters from Ross. http://www.modern-motorsports.com i've got a set and even though they're not on the car yet i can assure you that they are top notch. the bonuses to cv shafts are their strength and smoothness.

I have a question. The side flanges on the LSD diff, Are they the same for 280Z to 280ZX? The reason I am asking is my 300ZX diff came with no side flanges (or whatever you call them). I have my 280 Z diff here (and out of the car) so I could use them if the CV's are the same on the diff side. I have the cv adapters on from Ross so I am ready on the brake side. I just don't know if I can pull the side flanges from my 280Z or if I have to wait and pull them from my 280ZX turbo car. Thanks.

The "stub shafts" that slide into the diff are identical between R200 diffs installed in 75-89 Zs and ZXs with the exception being the hypoid limited slip of 88. You can use any of the halfshafts or flanges if you want. They meerly "pop" into the diff and are held in with circlips. I prefer the late Z31 turbo axles that match the LSD just because they appear most "robust". For the original poster- I would not reuse the 240 stuff- try to get any CV based axles.

The hypoid limited slip of 88 is its own animal-requires it's correct axle. I have seen some posts about using other axles with it but none have seemed definite in what fits. Any hypoid users care to add to this?