HybridZ

Mid 90s ZX7R - Good, Bad, Ugly?

Tim240z

I am looking at buying a crotch rocket (with gasprices set to hit $3+/gallon in CA). I've always loved the ZX7s (green of course), but never owned one. I used to have a 90 GSXR 750, and it was OK, but a bit under powered. Anyone have any words of wisdom? (apart from "don't buy a Bike, they're death traps")?

89_1_b.JPG

Tim

I know little about that particular bike. But I would just ask "have you ridden recently? Is it comfortable for the length of commute you'd be doing? Are you prepared to spend ~$500 on gear?" (I'm in favor of gear no matter what kind of bike it is...) What do you consider underpowered? Even my '97 Katana is pretty dang quick by my standards, it won't pull wheelies without some clutch help though. Is it just going to be a fun commuter? In any case I say... GO FOR IT!

I have Helmet and gloves, but I will definitely be getting a kevlar/leather jacket and leather pants. It's been 5 years since I rode, but I used to ride ALOT, and am by all accounts a 'good' rider. I have twice taken the BMW superbike school, and I learned a huge amount at both!

The ZX-7 should be a bike that you can pick up very cheaply. Kawasaki didn't change the bike for 8 or 9 years. They stayed with the same bike as the GSXR's kept getting stronger and stronger. I would think that you could pick up a '97 or '98 for around $3500-4K that is in mint condition. I just bought a '97 TL1000S with ~2700 miles for less than $4K. The bike was mint and stock. If you want a more comfortable bike that is quick and more a commute kind of bike try the FZ1. I have seen 2002 go for less than $6K. Good luck in your hunt, and let us know what you get.

Oh by the way, if your helmet is more than 5 years old you might want to look into getting a new one. The foam breaks down inside and gives less protection as the years go by.

My only experience with a zx7r is running my buddy's down on the interstate in 5th gear in the z. We went from a 3rd gear kick.....he pulled a few bikes on me in 3rd, stopped pulling when I hit 4th, then I started realing him in in 5th. Got to his back tire before we shut it down. He had a passenger which slowed him down a bit but still fun nonetheless (although stupid with him having a passenger and me on drag radials with 20psi!).

JT

ZX7's are great bikes with really good handling. They are also really uncomfortable, as far as ergonomics go, not for commuting, unless you're really hardcore. A 94 thru 97 ZX9 motor will kinda shoehorn in there as well, Top motormount is 12mm off though because of the taller cylinder block. The motors are allmost bulletproof and you can rev the nuts off them all day long. Brake rotors tend to warp. Also make sure you check it out real thorough cause they tend to have had squid owners with little to no clue about proper maintenance.

The down side to them is that they stayed almost the same from 91 until now. They are kind of heavy by todays standards. R1's really turned the sportbike world around in 98 with a new standard for weight and performance.

If you decide to look for other bikes, email me and I will give you specific opinions there are some bikes I would never consider buying...

On a side note, a bike with a jet kit and a pipe, don't expect to get more than 25 to 30 miles per gallon...

Later Thure