HybridZ

16x10's + coilovers =??

I've installed 8" coilovers on my 78z and wanted to move from 13x8 wheels to 16x10 wheels. I've read and been told that 16x10's will fit on my car with 5" bs and ZG flares.

I was reading a post by jmortenson and he said that he had a crack of sunlight worth of clearance between the strut and the tire/wheel.

Will I need to cut/roll fenders to install 5" bs 16x10's? The front fenders are no issue as I am replacing with glass/carbon but what will the rears look like? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aren

PS. I am building some mockup wood wheels that I can change the bs and diameter with to see the differences.

I think that post was by Terry (BlueOvalZ). I have stock not rolled fenders and 8" rims. I can stuff my 250 wide slicks on those tires and they still clear the struts and the fenders. You are right that I do have just a gnat's butt of clearance on the inside. I think my backspace is 5.25", because when I got my rims I realized that they were just a hair too offset to the inside, so I have to run a 1/4" spacer.

I am not the best with this stuff, but I think you can fit a 10" rim with 4.5" or 4" BS and it will clear a ZG flare. ON3GO would probably have some good thoughts on this, and I know Terry is pretty knowledgeable in this area too, and Tim240z.

Let me know what happens with this, if you don't mind. I've been considering the ZG's for a long time, and I know my tires would perform better on a 9.5" rim.

Jon

I'm running 16 x 10s with 5" backspace and ZG flares and you WILL have to cut and re-weld fenders significantly if your car is lowered to a ride height of 5". With 11" wide Hoosiers (275/45-16) clearance is also tight up front by the end of the front bumper, especially on the passenger side.

• 2 years later...
I'm running 16 x 10s with 5" backspace and ZG flares and you WILL have to cut and re-weld fenders significantly if your car is lowered to a ride height of 5". With 11" wide Hoosiers (275/45-16) clearance is also tight up front by the end of the front bumper, especially on the passenger side.

Back from the dead.

Okay. I have finally piled up enough money to buy a set of 3 piece wheels. I'm not sure if I'll go with CCW's of Kodiaks, but it will be one or the other.

Johnc, I have been looking at the photos of the R.O.D. on your website and want to ask you whether the ZG flares would have worked with your wheel/tire combination if you had moved the LCA pivot point laterally outward (for more camber and track width)? In other words, do you think that that change would have left enough clearance between the tire and the flare? I moved the pivot 1/4" outward while bumpsteering my car. Is that enough of a change to cause a clearance problem?

Also, what ride height were you running with that setup?

Thanks in advance for you help.