HybridZ

How much power can one make on stock turbo?

Guest Cronic

What's the most power anyone has made on the stock turbo?

Im shooting for ~280 at the wheels. I have a nice FMIC, and SDS EIC with 2 extra 450cc's in there, It should support me up there.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Well that is a good question, I got a Z I am putting a Haltech F3 on very simular to your set up. As soon as a conquer a small problem I am having with the air temp sensore it is going to the dyno to see how far I can boost it with the stock T3. I expect the turbo will fall off at 18psi and maybe 300hp at the crank.

I think you guys missed the question.

I wanted to know how much you guys have gotten or heard of someone getting on the stock 60 trim t3.

I KNOW the turbo will run out of efficiency around 18psi @ 5000rpm, and make ROUGHLY 280whp before it just gets too hot to handle.

The map itself shows that much.

If you want to get technical, the 60 trim can support about 308whp? However, that's running it out of it's efficiency area, and doesn't do ya much good with out a very good intercooler, or a lot of alchy. Also, the thrust bearings wouldn't last very long blowing that much air for extended periods of time. It'll take about 19.11psi for you to reach that power, and an extended RPM.

t3-60.JPG

Scottie-GNZ ran 18psi and 1/4 mile times that corresponded to 297rwhp with the stock T3 on his L-series setup. (MPH was 110 and change) I've heard of very few exceeding that MPH with the stock setup, so I would say 300rwhp is attainable with the stock T3, but not likely to be exceeded.

Drax is correct about my setup. It went 110.97 smoking the tires through 1st and most of 2nd. You have to understand that I had an SDS, my DP and 3" exhaust, NPR and a lot of tuning. Would I recommend it, NO! Not if you want reliability and yes, my turbo fried its bearings soon after but not unexpectedly for an almost 20yr old "pee-wee" turbo in unknown condition.

With a really good I/C, DP and exhaust, you can push the stocker and 300hp is acheivable but tuning is the key. You woul be amaze how much HP can be made reliably if you can properly control fueling and timing at high boost. But my recommendation if you want to make 300hp is to ditch the stock turbo and do a properly configured turbo upgrade. Now you can make the power with less boost, which means less heat, which means less detontaion, which means potential for even more HP.

The last time i was at the track, i ran 110mph through the trap also. Stock T3 & electronics, small NPR IC, 370cc injectors, 45deg DP, 3" exhaust on pump 93. Tires were sliding through 1st and 2nd as well. I just put in the medium sized NPR IC and plan on getting a set of DR's or slicks before i go back to the track in a month or so because it seems worthless to build the Z anymore until i can get what HP she has now, down to the pavement. My clutch will only last so long by sliding the heck out of it to get some kind of traction out of the hole! lol. I will be strapping her to a dyno within the next few months as well and will let you know what she turns.

Current mods are SDS + 2x450cc injectors, 3" downpipe back exhaust, Evo5 FMIC, 2.25" piping, and 18psi.

Turbo is in great condition. I snapped my driveshaft on the track Thursday night... so no times to post. :(

Im expecting at least 250whp @ 18psi, and around 330wtq.

Tuned I expect 280whp and around 350tq.