HybridZ

Life of bronze distributor gear?

jt1

Bronze gear would make me nervous. They don't come with a warning light as to when their shot and I wouldn't want to pull the distributor every so often to check up on the wear. When we built my engine we just called Isky and requested the cast gear. 244/575 108 (.613 w/ 1:6). I would think any major cam manufacturer would be willing to add this to any billet grind. Soild roller in your future? Not a race engine torn down every season? Save yourself the headache and call your cam company.

John

The price difference from Cam Motion to go from an all 8620 Billet cam to an 8620 Billet cam with the pressed on cast "everwear" gear was about $50. That's the price of a bronze gear. A Comp Polymer gear is $100! I see no reason to deal with bronze or polymer gears if you're buying a new cam, since like someone mentioned, pressing on a cast gear is done by most cam manufacturers, and the price difference is about what you'd end up paying for adding a bronze dist. gear anyway.

John (jt1): I bought the Canfield 215's for my 406. The quoted flow numbers from Canfield (they still don't have them on their web site) were conservative. When tested straight out of the box, they flowed better than quoted. Note that they flowed them on a 4.125" fixture, and the shop that did mine didn't have that size and used a 4.25" fixture. That surely unshrouded the intake valve some. See the before/after flow numbers here:

http://alteredz.com/data/canf215flow_1_summary.htm

So those quoted numbers for the Canfield 195s may not be so far off what you get out of the box, if you buy them from someone that gets them fully assembled from Canfield (see below). Also, the amount of cleanup we did to the exhaust to bring it in line was MINIMAL, just knocking off a ridge here and there mostly.

Note that some places buy castings from Canfield and put parts and the valve job on. Some have bought these heads and had them tested to find that they don't flow well. Competition Products is one place that buys the bare castings. I'd check with Jeg's to make sure their Jeg's heads (that are Canfield heads) are bought assembled from Canfield. I suggest you buy them directly from Canfield (expensie) or through one of the shops that buys only assembled heads from them. Call Canfield and they'll be happy to tell you who to go to that buys them assembled. I bought mine from Dave at Thunder Racing Products: 330-792-2451. Be sure to tell him I sent you! I'm buying most of my engine parts from him now.